Forum Index > Trail Talk > I can't believe how much I love (cross country) skiing!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am 
I posted here asking for advice about how to get started skiing, and how to choose gear, so I felt like I should post this as an update for everybody who gave me advice. My honey got me (classic) gear for my birthday about a year ago. I’ve skied 360 miles since then. I’m shocked to say this but it’s even more fun than cycling. To everyone else: if you haven’t tried cross country skiing, you should.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 am 
so change your handle to Skilopath.... hockeygrin.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I’m shocked to say this but it’s even more fun than cycling.
You could get one of those fat tire bikes and kind of combine your two locomotion loves! 🚴‍♀️

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Julia

Julia
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am 
I'm loving it, too! I just started, have gone a few times, hooked & am done paying for rental gear ... so off to look up the old post regarding gear recommendations! biggrin.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm 
Julia, We bought my gear at Winthrop Mountain Sports. They sent me out with two pairs of skis, let me try them both for several days, and then come back and pay for the ones I preferred. They also sent me out with multiple poles and two pairs of boots. That helped a lot, I love the gear I wound up with, and I'm confident that it's right for me.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 12:50 pm 
Julia, I recommend Fischer Ultralight/Superlite (I forget which term they use now) Crown. "Crown" is the waxless ski, which is probably what you want around here. They are awesome. So light and maneuverable yet fast (for non-racing skis).

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm 
I second the recommendation for Winthrop Mountain Sports (if you find yourself up there, and you should if you like XC skiing). They are super helpful and generous about letting you try out skis.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 pm 
I am trying to get back into XC skiing (Classic) after giving up on it for about 15 or more years. Its tough going from my previous mediocre intermediate skill level to rank beginner, made more challenging by now being 65 years old with a fused ankle. Doctor said xc ski would not be possible post ankle fusion. I take that as a personal challenge. I was laughing at the doc as I headed out on my 25 or so year old rig, doing fine on the flat and uphill. Then I tried a laughably gentle downhill..... eek.gif .... crap, what happened? As I lay there on deep soft snow and tried to get up, I started to see the issues of having no ankle flex. I borrowed some skis from my bro-in-laws quiver of skis, still using my floppy antique boots that he said should be in a museum. Started to feel the fun again. Metal edges, waxless, modest width with plenty of flex seemed to help a bit. Still felt like a Old Geezer coming down hills....probably because I am. Finally gained enough confidence to buy a set of Fischer Spider 62's, with meta edges, and they are narrow enough to use in groomed track. Skied a couple times on the Last Remaining Snow, and am now waiting for enough snow for XC. It is fun. Although I still prefer snowshoes for doing photography, but that is probably mainly due to my skill level on skis making falling highly probable, combined with carrying a fairly large camera, which is not a problem on snowshoes. Avalanche terrain is all but non-existent in Central Oregon XC terrain. Definitely a plus compared to having to constantly evaluate for Avy conditions in Western WA. Plus I have 4 xc friendly sno-parks within about 40 minutes (when creeper car doesn't bog down the road).
Swampy Sno-park XC 12/13/17
Swampy Sno-park XC 12/13/17

friluftsliv
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 pm 
One more thing I should have said from the start. Skiing gives me something to look forward to when the good weather comes to an end. I love being on my skis. It's every bit as wonderful as being in an alpine meadow, just in a different way.
Foist wrote:
Julia, I recommend Fischer Ultralight/Superlite (I forget which term they use now) Crown. "Crown" is the waxless ski, which is probably what you want around here. They are awesome. So light and maneuverable yet fast (for non-racing skis).
This was the forum's recommendation for me as well. They're great skis. Not what I wound up with, and while I'd be really happy with them, I prefer the ones I got, and I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try them both on the trail before making up my mind. 100 % agree with waxless skis. agree.gif If you get hooked you can buy more skis later. But still get the universal glide wax.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 am 
Two Things: 1. Kick Technique: I used to XC classic/diagonal stride around Marquette, MI alot. Thought I was pretty good. Marquette home to Northern MI Univ, which recruits for Nordic team with scholarships for Scandinavian nordic studs/studettes. We would share big, long track outside of town. Tucked in behind XC classic stud named Pere Utnegaard one day. Noticed difference in his kick vs. mine. Mine herky jerk piston with most articulation driving weight down thru knee into ski kicker. Pere's kick more of a subtle but powerful torque starting up in glutes...a more efficient twisting starting hi in butt, then transferring into the familiar knee drop drive into kicker. Just looked thru a lot of Youtubes hunting for this advanced technique, but no go...most just basic drills...no poles...skating...double poling. Maybe good book, Amazon hunt? Lessons? 2. Dry Land Skiing? : Here in Lake Stevens, nearest groomed trails are a hefty drive and Mtn. Loop Hiway routes are always more combat conditions than long stretches of kick-and-glide in tracks. Anyone try roller skis? I do live near Centennial Trail, long flat rails to trails between Arlington and Snohomish. Fun? Similar to diagonal stride? Good pole plants? Stopping? Small rocks and sudden stops? Are good in line skates a better/different work out? With poles? Any suggestions/experience? tom

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Anyone try roller skis?
I have no urge to try it myself.....biking with a nice set of brakes has more appeal to me on pavement. But if you do take it up, don't do like the guy I saw for years roller skiing on the Sammamish recreation trail, poling along with his carbide tips on his poles ineffectively and noisily clacking away on the pavement. I avoid telling people what they should do, but I really felt like telling him "Fer Gawds sake, get some rubber tips for those poles!" I see a lot of people roller skiing on Century Drive heading up and down the road to Mt Bachelor in the summer. I suppose it is good off-season training if XC skiing is your main sport, but they don't seem to have the look of elation on their faces.

friluftsliv
Julia

Julia
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am 
Thank so much for the advice! I'll try Winthrop Mountain Sports for sure ... my mom lives in Winthrop now, so it sounds like I'll have to go for a visit. biggrin.gif Like, I feel like leaving right this minute. I feel an addiction coming on ... clown.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
If you get hooked you can buy more skis later.
If you get hooked, you will buy more skis later. As night follows day.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm 
Are skis like bikes? In that if you have "n" bikes, you need "n+1" bikes? (or skis)

pcg

pcg
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
Tucked in behind XC classic stud named Pere Utnegaard one day. Noticed difference in his kick vs. mine. Mine herky jerk piston with most articulation driving weight down thru knee into ski kicker. Pere's kick more of a subtle but powerful torque starting up in glutes...a more efficient twisting starting hi in butt, then transferring into the familiar knee drop drive into kicker.
When I was a xc racer in the 70s (classic style) we were taught to drive forward from the hip. The kick will follow on its own if you concentrate on thrusting forward from the hip. Yes, you will develop some butt muscles and a muscle on the side of your hip. Concentrate on this and spend a lot of time skiing w/o poles and you will soon "get it" and develop a smooth efficient style. No lessons needed. Also arm/ski pole motion is largely confined to movement below the elbows. Flick your lower arms back and forth, but keep your upper arms (elbow up to shoulder) quiet. Such fun!