Forum Index > Trail Talk > I can't believe how much I love (cross country) skiing!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am 
Steve, which exact SNS race level boot/binding combo are you using with your Glittertinds? I've been thinking of replacing my 20 yr. old Fisher Crown/Salomon NNN with something a bit more beefy for the typical roads my wife and I frequent (I'm often breaking trail). I haven't really looked into it yet, but this thread has gotten me thinking.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 am 
Jim Dockery wrote:
Steve, which exact SNS race level boot/binding combo are you using with your Glittertinds?
SNS Pilot Sport (100 stiff) bindings and RS Carbon boots (citizen race level). We have Propulse SNS bindings on other classic skis. Propulse binding lacks the Pilot rear bar/spring, uses a bumper a la NNN, but is a big improvement over older SNS classic bumper bindings. I prefer the Pilot system, although the Propulse works fine, much better than the old SNS classic bindings it replaced. We also have classic RS boots for tracks. Screw pattern for older SNS, Propluse and Pilot are the same, so it's easy to swap in new bindings if you have old SNS bindings on your skis.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am 
If you are getting a new rig, check into getting something with the NIS plate to make it really easy to swap bindings in the future. And definitely don't underestimate the importance of a boot upgrade over your 20 year old boots. I was trying out various, virtually new, borrowed skis with my 20 year old leather boots on NNN-BC bindings, including the model of skis I ended up buying, and when I finally got the whole package with the hybrid Salomon PorCombi Prolink NNN boots, it was amazing how much more control I had. The double bar SNS boot interface doesn't work with my fused ankle, so I was glad Salomon has NNN offerings now. Now if we could only get enough snow to ski on....

friluftsliv
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am 
The combi boots have really been a godsend, regardless of binding system. Comfortable enough to beat around all day in, but much stiffer than the old style touring boots. In our NW slop/cement having that extra leverage really makes a difference. I'm noticing that even the 'standard' boots being issued now have a more substantial cuff than they used to. up.gif JMO: learning a bit of skate technique is never a bad thing especially for those of us who regularly venture out beyond carefully manicured ski areas. There's times when things get iced up and the scales just aren't gonna grip very well, so rolling over the edge and pushing off becomes a reasonable addition to 'gorilla poling'. Steve: I've been liking these skis for sure! Not outstanding at any one thing in particular, but perfectly capable of tackling whatever I run into miles from the trailhead including smashing through unbroken stuff for a fair bit if I have to. I did an out and back run up to the top of Jack Creek (Teanaway) last spring and it was so icy on the way down I grabbed a cut evergreen bough I found on the trail and used it kinda as a rough lock, lol... REALLY ugly technique but I got back without shooting over the edge of one of the switchbacks! dizzy.gif I have some other 'nice' skis at home that are light foam cores with a little more flex. I could look at the model when I get home. The problem is that they're 'nice' skis so I hate to take them out when I can't be sure the conditions are good. Meanwhile... I just beat the tar out of something I pick up cheap every few years, lol. I ski on my lunch hour regularly through winter and sometimes the conditions are good, sometimes they're not so good, sometimes they're pretty awful. Bad skiing still beats sitting inside!

~Mom jeans on wheels
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 12:09 pm 
Most boot manufacturers have phased out kombi (combi) boots. These days most racers do race combined events in skate boots with the cuff strap disengaged for the classic course. IME, race level skate boots work great for classic if you want more control.
boot up wrote:
The double bar SNS boot interface doesn't work with my fused ankle
This confuses me. Maybe you were exposed to a limited range of SNS boots/bindings. I can't see any difference in the SNS interface, Pilot or Propluse, vs. NNN that would affect the limited ROM of a fused ankle. If anything, I would think the stiffest SNS Pilot skate binding and a race-level skate boot would be the best of all available options for a fused ankle. If you don't like Pilot, SNS Propluse is very similar to NNN (i.e., single bar, bumper), although Propulse has a bit more purchase area in the boot/binding interface.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 6:11 pm 
Jim Dockery wrote:
Steve, which exact SNS race level boot/binding combo are you using with your Glittertinds? I've been thinking of replacing my 20 yr. old Fisher Crown/Salomon NNN with something a bit more beefy for the typical roads my wife and I frequent (I'm often breaking trail). I haven't really looked into it yet, but this thread has gotten me thinking.
I have a pair of those Glittertinds. You're welcome to borrow them if you want to see how they ski before having a pair shipped to you.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Most boot manufacturers have phased out kombi (combi) boots. These days most racers do race combined events in skate boots with the cuff strap disengaged for the classic course. IME, race level skate boots work great for classic if you want more control.
boot up wrote:
The double bar SNS boot interface doesn't work with my fused ankle
This confuses me. Maybe you were exposed to a limited range of SNS boots/bindings. I can't see any difference in the SNS interface, Pilot or Propluse, vs. NNN that would affect the limited ROM of a fused ankle. If anything, I would think the stiffest SNS Pilot skate binding and a race-level skate boot would be the best of all available options for a fused ankle. If you don't like Pilot, SNS Propluse is very similar to NNN (i.e., single bar, bumper), although Propulse has a bit more purchase area in the boot/binding interface.
Well, Salomon is putting a lot of effort into a "phased out" style of boot, launching their Pro link Combi boots in a big way. The link goes to the boot I just bought. I don't claim to be a God-Like skier. I just learned enough to get a rig that will hopefully make a liar out of the Doc that said I cannot XC ski with my fused ankle. Fused means NO movement in the ankle, so all the articulation is in the toe pivot or the forefoot. I have tough time getting my heel down for control on the fused side and trying to do a butt slide stop gets really ugly with a fused ankle, as does trying to get up again. So any small victory is major for me. I was also looking at the Madshus Combi boot, which was very comfortable and had much flex in the forefoot, but it just seemed that being able to easily twist it into a pretzel would not be good for control. I am getting back into XC skiing after being out of it for 15 years or so, and at age 65 with a fused ankle, I will not be doing any extreme skiing, racing or getting into advanced skills. I am happy with the rig I bought. I may or may not add a wider ski to my quiver in the future, or just use my old skis if I need something narrower, longer and without edges.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 pm 
boot up wrote:
. . . but it just seemed that being able to easily twist it into a pretzel would not be good for control.
That twisting is what SNS Pilot hook/bar system avoids better than anything else. Yeah, I know Salomon and Madshus still make a (i.e., one) combi boot. That sorta proves my point. Good luck with your post-fusion XC skiing. NNN and SNS are two approaches to the same set of issues. Both systems work very well if you shell out the $$ for good boots.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 am 
Speaking of boots. I got SNS bindings on my Glittertinds. That was a mistake. But sometimes that's how you learn. Figured I could use the same boots I use with my RCRs. I have great control over the skinny skis. Takes everything I've got to stop the Glittertinds. The boots are just too flexy. That's not a problem with light skis. Mountain Loop Highway on the Glittertinds and the boots I've got is a fun day. Anything steeper is an exercise in frustration. I've been unable to track down a set of boots that will work for them, as yet. I've been trying to give the Glittertinds away as I can't use them, but nobody will accept a free pair of skis when they can't go to REI and buy boots that will work with them.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I've been trying to give the Glittertinds away as I can't use them, but nobody will accept a free pair of skis when they can't go to REI and buy boots that will work with them.
This is why Salomon is finally conceding and is trying to cater to a more widespread standard with their NEW Prolink system

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I've been trying to give the Glittertinds away as I can't use them
My buddy will take them. Are they 205cm?
boot up wrote:
This is why Salomon is finally conceding and is trying to cater to a more widespread standard with their NEW Prolink system
Salomon expanded its line to make more money and in response to its breakup with Fischer. Salomon's new Prolink is an improvement on NNN. SNS is not dead. Far from it. Salomon currently makes and sells 12 different SNS norm boots. SNS remains the most popular system with XC racers, both classic and SNS, and that will continue. IMO, SNS Pilot and Propluse offer better control than NNN, and most XC ski racers agree with me. That REI doesn't carry SNS boots means nothing. REI's XC ski inventory is spotty at best. REI is not a XC race ski shop. (Compare REI bicycle inventory, which is a joke.) For the past 20+ years, REI's business model has been to mostly stock inventory that appeals to the broadest market.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
hat REI doesn't carry SNS boots means nothing. REI's XC ski inventory is spotty at best. REI is not a XC race ski shop. (Compare REI bicycle inventory, which is a joke.) For the past 20+ years, REI's business model has been to mostly stock inventory that appeals to the broadest market.
I think you are the only "racer" on this thread. I was just trying to give my perspective of someone with very basic skills and needs. I never said anything about REI. I talked to local specialty XC ski shops, which is where I bought my gear. They asked me what kind of skiing I would be doing and what my skill level was and based recommendations on that.....not just what best for racers. Albeit one shop seemed stuck on the "best for racers" hard sell....I did not buy from them.

friluftsliv
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 pm 
I'll take those skis if they're available! hockeygrin.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 pm 
boot up wrote:
I think you are the only "racer" on this thread.
There are several XC racers or ex-racers on NWHikers, including one whose daughter is a 2-time Olympian. My racing experience is limited and most of it occurred long ago. That's off point. Opinions among racers are very helpful for all XC skiers because racers put in more miles and require more control from their gear (due to higher speeds). See my prior post re the advantage of citizen race level boots for all XC skiers because they are stiffer, fit better and offer more control. You're on a combi boot, right? A combi boot is by definition a race level boot.
boot up wrote:
I never said anything about REI.
I was responding to Cyclopath's claim that his Glittertinds are worthless because REI doesn't sell something or other.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 am 
CC wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I should be back living in the Okanogan area next week
Wait a minute: Miss "don't move here" is moving to the east side? Hey, don't move here! All you westsider's moving here are driving up housing prices and clogging the left lanes of our four-lane highways. Don't move here, just send us more of your taxes.
I'm here. Grew up on this side. Family settled on this side in 1800s so it be cool. What four lane hiway do you speak of? O county has none. Does anybody still make boots for old three point bindings so I can wax up my old Epokes?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities