Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mission Peak 13 Jan 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 pm 
I have never been to Mission Ridge area before, so I decided to bite a long drive for an easy snowshoe. Me and Cookie (the dog) arrived to the ski area parking lot around 9am and parking lot was already filling up. If you want to snowshoe there, come early, otherwise parking can be a problem. We decided to go up to Mission Peak via Clara lake. First challenge was to find actual Clara lake trail head. Turns out it is right at the entrance to the main (car, not truck) ski resort parking area. This snowshoe trail is maintained by the ski resort and well signed once you find it. While it is all snow and I used my snow shoes from the start they were not actually needed on the Clara/Marion lake trail as it is very well compacted snow trench. Eventually this nice official trail comes to a small tarn and turns to Clara and further on to Marion lake. Instead of turning with the trail we tried to follow Sqilchuck summer trail straight onward through the forest, eventually dropping to Liberty-Beehive road. We lost the trail a few times as it navigates through a bit of complex maze of hills and dead tree blowdowns. Because of how warm it is we were constantly followed by tree rain. Once we reached the Liberty-Beehive road it was easy again, road snow is compacted by snowmobiles, but we didn't meet or seen any and surprisingly tracks seem pretty old. In fact in some windblown areas road has no snow coverage at all. Several points have great open views to Columbia river. Eventually Libery-Beehive road intersect with NF-330 that goes all the way to the summit. Here is where it gets harder again. NF-330 is nothing like Libery-Beehive and more of a trail than a road. There was no snowmobile tracks to follow and I was breaking trail again. Eventually, about half way, I lost the road again and instead of trying to follow it, just scrambled steep open bowl area up to the summit. There are more great views in all directions from the summit. Snow was not that great, as it is very warm and wet and slides easily, but it is only a few feet in windblown areas and barely anything on the exposed rocky ridges. I was surprised to not see a single person (or even a track of a person) for the whole day, after leaving ski area parking. I had a long break in hiking (about 4 months) because of work in China and being alone in the mountains again was such a treat. 11.50 miles and about 3000 feet gain. GPS track here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2433262462

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
payslee

payslee
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:58 pm 
Wow! Great pictures and what a beautiful pup! -payslee

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 pm 
Nice trip. I've done it multiple times, but never following your track. After reaching Clara/Marion, I just aim upwards towards the peak. It's pretty direct, just make sure you stay out of the ski area. I believe it's only about 6 miles round trip by the route I use. But since you drove a ways to get here, might as well stretch it out and enjoy the trek. up.gif

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:54 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
Nice trip. I've done it multiple times, but never following your track. After reaching Clara/Marion, I just aim upwards towards the peak. It's pretty direct, just make sure you stay out of the ski area. I believe it's only about 6 miles round trip by the route I use. But since you drove a ways to get here, might as well stretch it out and enjoy the trek. up.gif
I was wondering about straight up route too! But I decided not to try it, since I have never been there before and have no idea if it is doable or not. It looks like some areas are cliffy on the map. Drive is very long for me (3 hours), so unlikely I'll do it again anytime soon, but I'm curious - do you have perhaps a track or map picture of your way up?

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 pm 
You aren't kidding when you said in another response that your ( gorgeous!) dog is always on leash. Good for both of ya! I would probably use her as a personal "pull me up, pup!" If she didn't object, that is.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
You aren't kidding when you said in another response that your ( gorgeous!) dog is always on leash. Good for both of ya! I would probably use her as a personal "pull me up, pup!" If she didn't object, that is.
Ha smile.gif She is really great as pull me up dog, but only when snow is not too deep. Once it gets too deep she doesn't like to break trail and instead only follows me. So not in winter smile.gif

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 pm 
kitya wrote:
do you have perhaps a track or map picture of your way up?
here you go.
mission peak
mission peak

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:22 am 
Thank you mtn.climber!