Forum Index > Gear Talk > Dog booties
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mjl

mjl
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 pm 
Any suggestions on worthwhile brands to try? (this topic was last visited 8 years ago) just trying to prevent thick snow clumps on her paws Or am I sacrificing crucial traction))

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 2:16 pm 
I am no expert, but I do have some friends and a few acquaintances who have worked for teams doing the Iditarod, and other races. In general, dogs don't need the insulation but booties will protect dog' s feet from hard, abrasive, ice and snow. And that is a good thing. And it is not being overly concerned when it comes to preventing clods of snow between the dog's toes. That is really uncomfortable for dogs and trimming the fur there can help. Some dogs just have too much fur and they will get clods of snow built up quickly in some conditions. Dogs prone to that will benefit from booties! Do an internet search for "dog booties Iditarod" and you will get a lot of information. Most sled dog owners sew their own, or have them sewn. I don't think one brand is going to be particularly better than another. They all have a similar design...a paw shaped bootie with a velcro style closure/strap. Some models add traction pads made of rubber (I think one brand even has a "Vibram" outsole). it is nice that your pup has someone who cares! Good show.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 2:52 pm 
There are some good bees wax based things you could rub on the paws. Helps with clumping, and cracking of the pads.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 3:45 pm 
Yes Ale Capone, true! Beeswax, Olive oil, even cooking spray (PAM) have all been recommended for paws working and playing in snow.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm 
Musher's Secret seems to be the goop that all the into-it dog people swear by. Pretty much all you need if your dog is genetically suited to snow travel. Rough Wear makes the best bootie, but you pay dearly for them. Ultra Paw's seems to be the best "Value" bootie. Make sure you get ones that have two straps. The reviews of booties with one strap pretty much agree they absolutely do not stay on.

friluftsliv
mjl

mjl
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 9:06 pm 
Thanks for all the tips! Mushers secret it is... and maybe boots after that! my pup thanks you too! (in her own way...)

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 12:08 pm 
When I was running a little team I just picked up booties from dogbooties.com. I liked the fleece a little bitter for snow/ice since it seemed to have a little better grip, but wouldn't last as long as the cordura. The price was right... we went through our share of them. The big thing is to crank them on TIGHT right before you take off, then loosen them up if you're stopped for a while. Otherwise they'll come off. As long as the dog is moving, you'd have to have gorilla hands to tighten them down so much as to cause a problem. This also prevents the dog doing all kinds of silly drama and taking them off... hopefully.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 1:01 pm 
FWIW: When my dog was younger (she is now 15) and I took her on ski trips, I got her some booties. However I was never able to get all four boots on at once. She was 100% opposed to wearing them and struggled mightily against me putting them on. She was similarly opposed to wearing "doggles" in the spring to protect her eyes from the bright combination of sun and snow. Those I managed to get on, but she quickly found a tree branch to snag them on and drag them off. She is mixed breed with thick fur and the only time she ever acted like she was cold was on a wind exposed ridge with temps in the low teens (wind chill around 0) . When we stopped for a bit , she dug a hole in the snow and curled up in it. We had a cocker spaniel as a kid -- the long "leg feathers" fur on his legs -- these were terrible in the snow building up big clumps -- almost imobilizing the dog. Booties would have been useful for him -- or trimming the long fur short.

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 pm 
I have a set for my dog/clown. When I put them on him, he looks like one of those horses that is trained to prance around in a show. Should do a video. hockeygrin.gif