Forum Index > Gear Talk > Osprey offers Super Ultralight Packs Spring 2018
Previous :: Next Topic  
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jan 13, 2018 10:46 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Osprey has made some good ultralight packs with the Talon and Exos series in recent years and with increased interest in this category as evidenced by increased sales among big box and cottage industries Osprey has advanced their position in the market with the soon to be released Lumina and Levity line of sub 2lb. 45L and 60 L backpacks which were a hit at Outdoor Retailers shows as well as stirring interest on ultralight websites, some believe this latest offering will spur other larger retailers to trend in the ultralight direction mass producing superultralight products which were once the domain of cottage industries.

Video

Levity 45

Levity 60

Lumina 60

Lumina 45

SectionHiker's Review

"The Levity and Lumina are made with a lightweight, durable, and nearly waterproof fabric that Osprey calls NanoFly. Itís an abrasion resistant mix of 100 denier Cordura nylon and (UHMWPE) ultra high molecular weight polyethylene that is in the same wheelhouse as the cuben fiber composites used by some cottage manufacturers. It will be interesting to see if the Levity and Lumina packs will impact the popularity of the ultralight backpacks sold by them or whether theyíll be able to innovate in time to compete head-to-head with Osprey"._SectionHiker

--------------
Living in the Anthropocene
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 12:29 pm 
Osprey had the Hornet series 2011-2013.

I have a Hornet 46 Medium, which is 1lb 10oz.

I guess that line didnít sell well for them as they discontinued them. I guess this is their second attempt at sub-2lb backpacks.

My Hornet 46M is great. Obviously light, lots of capacity, pockets and other features.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 2:45 pm 
I traded some gear with Hit the Trail and acquired a Hornet in the deal. That was a nice UL pack which my daughter adopted from me, she used it on a dayhike we did together over xmas.

--------------
Living in the Anthropocene
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 3:49 pm 
Packs without hip belt padding or pockets do not turn me on all that much( also shoulder strap pockets). I will always add them, and that may make up for any weight advantage. Wildernessed and Steve always tell me I look like a Gypsy because of the stuff I add to my packs! I will keep an open mind and wait until after I see these packs and try them on.

Also, I am intrigued by the Big Agnes hammock with built-in pad sleeve holder featured in the Sectionhiker review. Let the elite cottage vendors say what they want about their hammocks, you can make any cheap and nasty hammock comfortable and warm if you put an insulated inflated pad in the bottom of it!. I want to look at them too.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Osprey offers Super Ultralight Packs Spring 2018
  Happy Birthday Alpine Andy, travis.diller!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: