Forum Index > Gear Talk > Help, please: I'm writing a grant...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Oct 13, 2019 6:47 pm 
I'm writing a grant for my middle school outdoor program. Here's my situation and specs: The situation: I take 15-25 kids on 3-day trips into the Cascades. My first five trips were suspiciously dry and sunny and I knew I was living a little too high on the hog. Many of my recent trips have been very wet and I'm coming off a rain-out/bail-out a day early (last weekend). I had two tents completely succumb to the relentless rain. Time to get some better quality gear. The Specs: - 4-person tent - Not too, too complicated for middle school students to set up, with a in-class practice. - Waterproof: a lockdown rainfly for Cascade rain. A waterproof bottom that I can set up in the middle of the Puget Sound convergence zone at 4k feet in October and not have to hike kids back to the cars in the middle of the night. :-) - Not four bazillion $$$$ - Reasonably Durable What do you think? Thanks, Phil

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Oct 13, 2019 8:30 pm 
Thanks, Hesman. That looks like a good option but it is beyond the grant amount. I'll log that option and maybe find a larger grant. (At first I thought you were pulling my leg with those tent names.)

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 6:27 am 
I bought the REI Half Dome 4 Plus earlier this year for family camping. I was fairly impressed. Easy set up, roomy, big vestibules, cheap. It's certainly not lightweight by today's standards, but if distributed between those that will be sleeping in it, it shouldn't be too bad. We only had light rain the one night I used it, but it held up perfectly. I got mine on sale for $230 ($330 retail), even the standard 20% off one item regular promotion they have would bring to about $264.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 6:54 am 
Yes, that looks like a good possibility. Would you recommend adding a footprint for rainy/muddy spots?

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 10:04 am 
I'm not sure what drives the four person requirement. A full-up four person tent is heavy (10 pounds+), and hard to split up the weight. They are also hard to find a suitable sites for at times. Almost all Scout Troops use the REI Half-Dome Two. Not the Lightest, but it's absolutely bullet proof in the rain. You can divide the body, and Fly/Poles to allow the tent-mates to share the weight. You can buy a foot print for it. Very easy setup, and self-supporting. They last years with even young middle schools age scouts using them, so very durable. With any tent, the key is to make sure they cleaned and dried out before storage. Another four person tent is floor-less black diamond mega-light; use some window film as a floor. That would be under 2.5 pounds per tent.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 pm 
FiresideChats wrote:
Would you recommend adding a footprint for rainy/muddy spots?
That's optional IMO. Some people love footprints, some never use them. I personally most often find myself leaving them at home to save weight, but they are useful in certain situations.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 pm 
The half dome 4 is actually 7 lbs., not bad split 4 ways. I spoke with 2 ladies on the PCT a month or so back with the 3 person, they loved it. If it was too heavy they didn't mention it. I'm thinking of buying one to take for the grandkids.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 9:41 pm 
InFlight wrote:
I'm not sure what drives the four person requirement. A full-up four person tent is heavy (10 pounds+), and hard to split up the weight.
Inflight, four is a good number of kids per tent in our society. I'm not crazy strict on this, but I've found it to be a good guideline. I could go on about that, but you probably get the idea. As for weight, it is an issue, but I shoot to have each kid carefully pack themselves with space and weight enough to carry group gear or group food items. That's part of the experience of preparing for the trip. That said, the adults always end up with heavy loads. I also quickly figure out who my hard chargers are and they often volunteer to carry more. (Yes, there is hope for the future.) Phil

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostMon Oct 14, 2019 9:47 pm 
And it looks like three +++ for the REI model. Duly noted.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 11:30 am 
Where are you putting your tent plastic? If your tent floor got wet, it was probably because you didn't have a tent plastic inside the tent or put the plastic between the tent and the ground. There is no reason to use a footprint if you just put it between the tent and the ground, because it will just trap water in a heavy rain and eventually soak your tent. We always put a tent plastic in and I have never once had a problem with wetness in the tent (except from infants and toddlers). Get a couple-mil thick painter's plastic, cut it to size, and you won't need to worry about water soaking your tent again. The weight is negligible and will likely save you from bailing again because of wet sleeping bags. For tent ideas, if you care about the gear lasting take a look at the Eureka Timberline. It's a bit heavy, but good in the rain and has bombproof zippers, which are likely the first thing to get destroyed by a youth group.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 pm 
Thanks, JV. I've never tried a plastic layer inside the tent. I'll look at the Timberline specs too.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Oct 28, 2019 10:01 am 
I have done outdoor trips for groups of middle schoolers and that was super fun. I agree on the REI tent as recommended above. I used one for years when my whole family (4 of us) headed out on backpacking trips from 3-7 days. Never had it leak. You might consider taking a few lightweight tarps on your trips. I took them along and they provided a great space in rainy conditions for the teenagers to escape their tents.