Forum Index > Trail Talk > National Parks during shut down
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Jan 20, 2018 10:28 pm 
CascadeClimber, what's your point? Somehow Zinke is a bad guy because he allegedly told his department not to use the word closed? Are you just looking for a reason to be angry? It seems like the parks aren't completely closed so why is it wrong to not want staff to use that word when it would not be completely accurate? Are you wishing the the parks were described as closed because that sounds worse? This administration is specifically trying to keep them as accessible as possible. Good on them. It's your right to file a foia request, and that's another area where this administration has really ramped up efficiency. The law requires a response in 20 days. There can't be many docs pertaining to this issue so it should be easy especially if you request docs only from a narrow date range. https://www.foia.gov Looks like law enforcement within the parks has been deemed an essential service, so there will be staffing for that purpose. Sorry ya'll, but the parks won't be zones of anarchy during the closure.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 7:18 am 
I was in Lake Mead National Recreation Area yesterday. All gates are open, but bathrooms are locked.

silence

silence
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 7:18 am 
Official statement/contingency plan from the NPS https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/2018_01_nps_contingency_plan.pdf No visitor services (including water, bathrooms, garbage disposal, permits, and plowing) ... just essential personnel on duty. Access at your own risk. After today's storm (and more to come this week) it might be awhile before anyone can get up to Paradise if they've suspended all plowing from Longmire ... the gate is closed.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 am 
I live on the Kitsap Peninsula, home of a few naval bases.Workers are deemed essential or not.Non-essential go home with pay and the essential stay and work for pay.The whole thing is a joke.We are paying people to stay home so the government can pretend to be shut down.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 am 
they are plowing the parking lot at Paradise right now..( 7:10 am Jan 21...... )redface.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
silence

silence
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:58 am 
That's good news ... at least they're keeping up with it. Wonder if they are getting paid?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 am 
Gregory wrote:
...Non-essential go home with pay and the essential stay and work for pay.The whole thing is a joke.We are paying people to stay home so the government can pretend to be shut down.
Yup, that's the way it was when I worked for the federal government. And we all felt the same way, what a &^%$ joke. Except for 1/2 day in 1980, I was always "essential". So my question was (and is) why do we have "non-essential" on payroll in the first place? This whole shutdown business just further exemplifies why I dislike politics of any flavor (government, office, neighborhood, whatever), it's almost always based about 90% on BS, with a few facts thrown in to spice things up a bit.
wish the whole world was flat...
wish the whole world was flat...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
christensent

christensent
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:12 am 
silence wrote:
That's good news ... at least they're keeping up with it. Wonder if they are getting paid?
If it's anything like Gregory's post on the naval base, everyone is getting paid. Not sure if the same applies at the NPS. Anyways, I seriously doubt someone is running a plow and not getting paid for it. I don't think that'd even be legal, you have to pay your employees. It's possible plowing is considered an essential operation to keep the road from enter a state where it is extremely difficult and/or costly to later plow. When they get feet of snow on the road in huge storms in years past, it seems it sometimes takes them days of work to clear it. Or perhaps the buildings need human assistance to not break from snow load (although that would seem like a poor design for buildings at Paradise, so I doubt it)

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 am 
christensent wrote:
It's possible plowing is considered an essential operation to keep the road from enter a state where it is extremely difficult and/or costly to later plow. When they get feet of snow on the road in huge storms in years past, it seems it sometimes takes them days of work to clear it. Or perhaps the buildings need human assistance to not break from snow load (although that would seem like a poor design for buildings at Paradise, so I doubt it)
That isn’t what I heard. I heard Trump and Zinke are personally visiting Mt Rainier Paradise Park. That is why they are plowing it. They need to clear it for the presidential motorcade to be able reach the parking lot. Once there, they are going to dine on coal, freshly strip mined over night from the now desoltate National Park itself. They will also indulge themselves by drinking barrels of petroleum, also freshly drilled from the NP. They have captured CascadeClimber, the antifa member, and they will torture him on site as they eat and drink and finally eat CascadeClimber for dessert.

Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:41 am 
I am curious to see the who, how, and what that determines essential.This shut down of the parks certainly does not follow or mirror 2013 shut down.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am 
Bernardo wrote:
CascadeClimber, what's your point? Somehow Zinke is a bad guy because he allegedly told his department not to use the word closed?
Banning the use of words and banning the disclosure of the ban are typical in the last year. For example, NASA scientists have been banned from using the terms "global warming" and "climate change". Anyone with their head not stuck in a hole can pick out other governments that have done things like this and how it worked out for average citizens. It's way to obfuscate the truth, which in this case, is that areas of the National Parks, including visitor centers are CLOSED. So my points were: 1. Some or most areas/services in the parks are CLOSED. Including the road to Paradise. This isn't readily apparent because of a purposeful information blackout apparently ordered by Zinke. 2. The executive branch is trying to manage optics by banning the use of phrases they don't like. Again.

If not now, when?
silence

silence
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:12 am 
According to the contingency plan I posted earlier, there are only 3,298 NPS employees nationwide (inclusive of employees paid by non-expiring fund sources) deemed essential out of a total 24,681 employees. The road crew might be included in this, but I doubt it. Or, "Employees who report for a very limited number of hours per week – such as a maintenance employee who must conduct a safety check on a facility system – are still considered “furloughed,” though they will maintain a log of hours conducting essential activities during the shut down period. Or, "Parks may not exceed the staffing number approved during the October 2013 shutdown unless a partner is willing to provide payment in advance (as a donation) to support additional staff."

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
It's way to obfuscate the truth, which in this case, is that areas of the National Parks, including visitor centers are CLOSED.
So what?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 11:56 am 
xrp wrote:
cascadeclimber wrote:
It's way to obfuscate the truth, which in this case, is that areas of the National Parks, including visitor centers are CLOSED.
So what?
Are you by chance from Fremont?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 12:07 pm 
Eric Willhite wrote:
I interpreted his comment as the typical....let's find a way to blame the issue onto the current administration. ................................ Can't admit the dems are the reason the parks are closed.
dizzy.gif

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler