Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tye Peak - 1/20/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 12:23 am 
Went up Tye Peak today with christensent, starting from the Skyline Lake trailhead. Thanks to the new parking rules we had to park across the street at the ski area, which was somewhat annoying. After reaching Skyline Lake we went up to the top of Heather Ridge and skied down into the valley below. From there we broke trail all the way to the summit of Tye Peak. The skinning was steep and deep on the SE slope of the mountain. Even with skis on we were sinking up to our knees in spots. It wasn't the best day for views but it was certainly an amazing day for skiing. After stomping in a skin TRENCH, we ended up doing several laps on Tye before heading out. 9.2 miles RT with 4,300 ft. of gain.
Tye Peak from Heather Ridge
Tye Peak from Heather Ridge

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 am 
Did they hit you up for 20 bucks to park? I hear some people are being charged but it seems random and up to the lot attendant. Apparently with 4 in a car it's free. Looks like a great day for skiing but snowshoers like me would be whining and wallowing.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 am 
Found mostly the same at Snoqualmie yesterday. Looks like you had better visibility.
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Sarah

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm 
Thanks for the TR - looks great - I'm heading up tomorrow.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 6:51 pm 
I'd also like to know about the parking rules and charges. When I drove across Stevens around Christmas I saw the signs up charging $20 for cars with fewer than 4. After my trip up Smithbrook, driving back west, the signs and attendants were gone. This was around 1pm. I parked and made a quick trip up Skyline.

christensent

christensent
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 7:33 pm 
We parked in lot 1 because we had heard that everything on the other side of the highway is now a pay lot. I asked someone in G lot if they had to pay and they said yes, or be a 4-person carpool. I'll never understand why the G lot was more full than the 1 lot. In fact you could park 10 cars away from the entrance to the resort. Maybe people would rather park in a distant lot across foot bridge than walk up the 20-vertical-foot ramp up to the resort from the 1-4 lots. Or perhaps being in the pay lot is a status symbol and people would rather pay for parking in a remote lot to feel good about spending $20. According to their website, lot C and D are not listed as pay lots. We did not try but I will next time!

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Found mostly the same at Snoqualmie yesterday. Looks like you had better visibility.
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
That looks great. What area of Snoqualmie is this?

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:17 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
John Morrow wrote:
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
Kendall Ridge 1/20, Tom
That looks great. What area of Snoqualmie is this?
Oh, nothing special. Just a minor overlooked glade on Kendall. We started thinking we wouldn't even venture out on open slopes but found nothing but uncohesive snow bonding well enough to the underlying crust. That should all change over the next 24 hours

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 am 
Cool.. why didnt you guys drive christens jeep to the lake? clown.gif Seen you guys up on the ridge, and off and on throughtout the day. I was with the group of 5 and a dog. We where heading the same way but decided to spread out the crowd and ski elsewhere. No need to create uneeded hazards.skied tye a half dozen times this year already anyways. We could see you guys during the occasional clearings. We did make use of your track up as well, but skied well riders left of your down track...

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 am 
Oh.. G when it's free, otherwise d. I was already parked and camping across the street next to the out house.so we just walked from there. My dog and i did a few laps on diving board the day before. Riding south back to the highway...

christensent

christensent
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Cool.. why didnt you guys drive christens jeep to the lake? clown.gif
I'd like to, but as far as I know it's gated in the summer and that's a bit too close to civilization to drive over presumed gates (I really don't know how the law works on driving over gates that are 100% invisible due to snow cover).

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 pm 
Fun area for ski touring. That's been one of our go to ski touring spots for years. Sorry to hear about the parking situation down.gif You guys covered a good bit of ground. Any reason you didn't ski ***** **** off Tye summit?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 11:23 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Fun area for ski touring. That's been one of our go to ski touring spots for years. Sorry to hear about the parking situation down.gif You guys covered a good bit of ground. Any reason you didn't ski ***** **** off Tye summit?
We weren't sure of the terrain below the summit, this being our first time skiing Tye. Stupidly we both forgot to download map data before leaving cell coverage, so we couldn't even get a terrain profile. When we got back to Heather Ridge and saw the long, beautiful line directly below the summit we face palmed. waah.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
When we got back to Heather Ridge and saw the long, beautiful line directly below the summit we face palmed. waah.gif
The best line off Tye summit cannot be seen from Heather Ridge. (I've already said too much.)