Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anthony Lakes, Oregon - Angell Pk, Bear Butte 1/20/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 5:04 pm 
This past weekend, I was able to convince the family to go out of town for a trip to Oregon so the boys could go snowboarding at the Anthony Lakes Ski area. We left Friday mid afternoon and was able to make it to Pendleton, where we would get a hotel for the next 2 nights. On Saturday morning, we drove the remaining 1:45hr to the Ski area which sits at 7100'. After getting the boys their lift tickets and giving Rose and Sahale some easy snow walk suggestions, I set off for Angell Pk, 8646'. There is a lot of cross country activity around the frozen lakes. I did my best to steer clear of any ski tracks and made my way towards Angell basin. I decided to gain the Gunsight/Angell saddle to approach the peak from the North side. Soft, powdery snow covered a nice solid base as I snowshoed up the ridge. I later found out it would have been easier to stay and do a rising traverse 50'-100' below the ridge line on a nice wide open area. I reached the summit to see some ski tracks and decided against dropping into the next basin over for another try at a peak to the East due to hardly any visibility.
Angell Pk
Angell Pk
sun trying to pop through the clouds near the summit
sun trying to pop through the clouds near the summit
I met my family back down at the parking lot at our predetermined regroup time. Everyone was doing well, so the boys went off to the ski slopes again, while Rose, Sahale and I went to the lodge for a break and food. I now had Bear Butte (7518') on my peakbagging agenda, Rose and Sahale would join me for part of it. It was an easy extra peak as the skies started to clear a bit.
Sahale having fun!
Sahale having fun!
Gunsight Pk from Bear Butte
Gunsight Pk from Bear Butte
Van Patton Pk
Van Patton Pk
All of us reached the parking lot at our last scheduled meeting time within minutes of each other. We headed back to the hotel in Pendleton enjoying a nice sunset.
Ryan, Sahale and Jayden
Ryan, Sahale and Jayden
The Anthony Lakes Ski area was a good time for the family and reasonably priced. A snow pass is required but can be purchased at the ski area for $10 for the day. This was our first time in Eastern Oregon, and much thanks to Stefan for the info he shared with me about going to this area in the winter.

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm 
Very nice. I've never heard of this place but it definitely looks worth checking out. https://anthonylakes.com

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 7:01 pm 
Great to see your kids out having so much fun! That's a long drive, but it looks like it's worth it. up.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 am 
Good to see the family out!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostMon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 pm 
P400s in states other than WA don't count. arrow.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 pm 
Wow, the boys go boarding, the wife and daughter walking in the snow and you still go climbing. Way to make everyone happy and still bag a peak!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 pm 
Nice to see everyone's smiles!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com