Forum Index > Trip Reports > GranolaGirl VS THE KILLER BEACH LOG
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wallorcrawl

wallorcrawl
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am 
At long last a GG trip report from the fringe. Satan is tricky you've got to stay alert; write some more GG you've got a unique and compelling style!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 12:35 pm 
Watch this instructive video about log safety....

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm 
Fun report about a serious event. Glad you merely got a message rather than something more life-altering! I like to remind myself a bit of potential for problems by pondering how those logs got flung so far up beaches, often well into the plant/dune barrier at rear. Water is an amazing substance - seemingly so yielding, yet so powerful. When I checked out some familiar coast in Gloucester MA after the "Perfect Storm" of '92, I saw that two cabin sized boulders had been shoved about one hundred yards along a granite shelf far above the normal high tide line. I was recently down on the OR coast, and when walking Bullard's Beach around high tide with decent sized waves breaking on shore, I was careful to keep my clueless young dog well up at the top of the beach with me instead of letting her roam down around the stray logs that were getting licked by the waves (and rolled now and then).

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 pm 
If you are a camper, kayaker, or rafter you know damn well how strong moving water is. As we used to say, "those logs did not walk up there". eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 am 
Thanks GG!! I am still recovering from some deep lung flu/pneumonia 'ish and your story generated some great horse snort laughs complete with phlegm, etc. Woke up my wife, I believe. Next time you are in similar situation, try bringing your headlamp or flashlight. Nothing gobbles illumination like a black and angry ocean. It will make you feel small all the way into your pimpin' boots. We are glad you are alive. We are more glad you could make us horse snort about it. Tom

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 1:36 pm 
Friend of mine witnessed a helivac of someone whose pelvis was crushed by a beach log. I once casually stepped up onto a "small" log "just to keep my feet dry" near the high-water mark -- the incoming wave was only a few inches deep -- and immediately found myself face-down in the surf, with that log floating nearby.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 9:13 am 
joker wrote:
When I checked out some familiar coast in Gloucester MA after the "Perfect Storm" of '92, I saw that two cabin sized boulders had been shoved about one hundred yards along a granite shelf far above the normal high tide line.
Coincidentaly just read an article about a monitoring program in Scotland where they track large (Like 100 ton sized) boulders as they get moved along the coast by storms eek.gif FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 6:15 pm 
I'm glad I r ok..vs a bad news story...and so important to share these OMG stories. Too often...we forget who mother nature is! Thank you

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 am 
I suppose that in the dark without a headlight you weren't able to read the signs posted that say "Beach Logs Kill!" Great report. Glad you were able to survive (with mascara intact.) Good idea to stay up off the beach at Kalaloch in mid-winter except at low tide. I imagine you were a bit north of where these logs were being tossed around in the surf. (* be sure to have the volume turned way up when you click on that link.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 2:51 pm 
Hey GG- we finally got to meet at the xmas social this year- smile.gif And if I recall, this was not your first run in with beach wood, amirite?

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 pm 
I'm glad you shared your story. I very very rarely frequent oceon beaches so I did not know about the dangers that your story described. Now I know! And there is news today about two women killed while digging for clams. So thanks again for sharing your story. It was very educational.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:23 pm 
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 5:13 am 
Last weekend at Kayak Point County Park between M-ville and Stanwood there was a 9 plus hi tide pushing up into the drift logs. Right trekking pole in ocean; left ski pole fending off caving clay cliffs. No bueno. Time to go look for snow geese and swans on Fir Island. Tom

MojaveGeek

MojaveGeek
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 am 
We used to love those "logs in the surf can kill" with the pic of the panicing kids running... but they don't seem to be there any more? I certainly have some old photos of them! My "beach log at night" experience was not as scary as yours (must have been terrifying). Walking near Mosquito Creek at night and headed back up the beach, light drizzle and quite dark, we were walking toward a large log. It suddenly raised its head and gave us the evil eye. Very big sea lion. And seeing as we were between it and the water... we moved out of the way fast.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 7:47 pm 
MojaveGeek wrote:
We used to love those "logs in the surf can kill" with the pic of the panicing kids running...