Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The FCC is at it yet again....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 am 
I *think* this is the appropriate forum. Perhaps Trail Talk, or even Gear would be correct. Admins, move/copy as you see fit. Anyway, The FCC is considering reviving (relatively) high powered ground based internet wireless services,operating immediately adjacent to the current GPS frequency spectrum, see the following article: http://gpsworld.com/a-grave-threat-to-gps-and-gnss/ I thought this had been put to bed a couple years ago. Now they're wanting to revive the plan again. And the purpose? As I understand it, the idea is to provide internet everywhere to everyone. Internet is not that important that it needs to be "everywhere". ...sigh... gotta write to the congress critters again, I see.... I'm a bit surprised that there has been no apparent interest in this topic, given that so many of us use handheld or car type GPS receivers. Maybe no one read (or understood) the article. The general idea is that the last time this was tried, GPS receivers suffered significant interference, and eventually the FCC backed down. From what I've read, this was after engineers explained things to the FCC (being comprised primarily of lawyers who have little to no understanding of things technical). As one of my engineering aquaintances opined (paraphrased) "the lawyers seem to think that they can legislate the laws of physics". And I'd particularly like to read what our member "joey" has to offer on the subject. Carry on....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message