Forum Index > Trip Reports > Franklin Falls - 1/27/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 4:53 pm 
I wasn't feeling very motivated today but I still wanted to get out, so I decided to check out the mega-popular Franklin Falls. I've never bothered to hike this trail since it's usually super crowded, and especially so since it's become the "it" hike of the 2017-2018 season. It was pouring rain this morning in Snoqualmie so I was hoping that would mitigate the numbers a bit. The road is closed a little over two miles from the trailhead, and it is snow covered the entire way. The road before the closure is unplowed and has about 8-12 inches of snow on it. Low-clearance vehicles were struggling to make it...and some didn't. Most folks were wearing or carrying snowshoes but there was a well beat-in trench so no flotation was really needed. About a mile up the now-closed road we encountered a pickup truck that was hopelessly stuck in the middle of the road. They must have snuck in when the road block wasn't in place yet. The falls themselves were...nice I guess. Worth 7.3 miles of hiking? Not really.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 5:46 pm 
Bored and with a Husky that was demanding some kind of action. I just like you, got all Gortex'd up (well she didn't: all fury like she is) and went to The Lake Serene TH which is only 15 minutes from me. By the time we got in 1.5 miles I was so soaked (Gortex is only so waterproof). So out we came. Was it worth it? Yes. Only because Tuath loved me for it. BTW There were around 20 other cars in the lot.... Live every day like you will die to-marrow.For some day that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 pm 
You probably ran into my crew up there. I had to work but a bunch of my crew went to the falls today because there really were not many other places to go in this mess. They helped out the truck move a half mile down the road but as of the time they were there the truck was still stuck, others though were trying to help as well I guess. Hopefully the guy got out.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 11:36 pm 
Today was a pretty gross day to hike...everything above 2000' was a slushy, sloppy mess. Kudos for still getting out.