Forum Index > Trail Talk > Big Four Ice Caves in Outside
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm 
Don't have the magazine or a url of the image, but right on page 8&9 of the February Outside is a photo taken from inside the caves of a young lady also inside the caves. How they both survived is beyond me, I guess we'll have to get the USFS to close the magazine now.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 am 
I have tempted fate enough times, I have no further desire to enter the caves.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 am 
Sometimes, Outside glorifies stupidity.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 1:49 pm 
I find it ironic when people refer to entering the ice caves as "stupid" yet you never hear them say that about climbing mountains. confused.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm 
Can anyone swinging by a store today snag me a picture of the offending pages? I'm always trying to curb stuff like this - big organizations concentrating or suggesting use in unhelpful ways.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 3:42 pm 
I thought that Big Four Ice Caves picture was completely irresponsible. I thought of writing to Outside about it, but never did.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm 
Quick google search brought up this link... Big 4 link

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I find it ironic when people refer to entering the ice caves as "stupid" yet you never hear them say that about climbing mountains. confused.gif
Not all mountains have the same objective danger level. Routes to the top of some are as safe as a stroll on the golf course, maybe safer! hahaha. This is a bad comparison because real mountain climbers are not a bunch of rookies jumping out of the family van and then hiking a few minutes past warning signs into the middle of a melting ice cave. People who climb mountains in a serious manner practice skills and learn about things like mountain weather, snow pack evaluation, navigation, snow travel, rock and ice technique, objective hazard evaluation, first aid, gear repair, and generally taking responsibility for their own safety. What do those people venturing into the ice caves learn and practice beforehand to help reduce their exposure to danger ? twitter and facebook posts?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 pm 
Schenk wrote:
This is a bad comparison
Many people still die, so I think it's a good comparison. What if a "Professional Caver" died while exploring the interior of the Big 4 ice caves even though they were experienced and used proper safety gear? People here would still say they were an idiot.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 4:41 pm 
Mountain climbers manage objective hazards. The objective hazards (falling ice, collapse) of the Big Four Ice Caves cannot be managed, except by staying out. So the comparison between the two as regards danger and stupidity/idiocy is not a good one. A better comparison would be a climber climbing a steep, hard snow slope with bad runout without an ice axe or crampons. Or a skier venturing into avalanche terrain on an extreme hazard day without transceiver, shovel or probe. Or even with.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 4:49 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Mountain climbers manage objective hazards.
Sure, but many, even the highest regarded mountaineers climb in conditions where they know they are likely to die or be seriously injured, yet they still climb. People who enter the ice caves are being careless with their lives and no matter how much training and experience they have, they still have a higher chance of dying than someone who enters the caves. I am mainly referring to high altitude mountaineering. I don't care if someone is a highly trained professional or a rank amatuer, some (like me) think they are being stupid and risking their lives. Spin it anyway you like, it's still the same, that being putting ones life at risk for adventure.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 6:29 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
putting ones life at risk for adventure.
And its worse that Outside is putting lives at risk for profit. But I don't think all those who go into the ice caves are stupid. I went inside first time I saw them. Having lived in Texas for nearly 20 years, I didn't know the ways of an ice cave. Or the large rocks on the cliffs above them. It was honest ignorance. HOWEVER, there are hazard signs along the trail nowadays. Big yellow ones. The photographer and subject admit to seeing them. That is stupid.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
putting ones life at risk for adventure.
And its worse that Outside is putting lives at risk for profit.
I agree HOWEVER, there are hazard signs along the trail. Big yellow ones. The photographer and subject admit to seeing them. That is stupid.[/quote] There are also warning signs about the dangers of climbing mountains. Her's one. https://www.redbull.com/us-en/the-world-s-most-dangerous-peak-beckons

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:50 am 
Isn't access to the caves technically closed? Or is it just warnings?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
What if a "Professional Caver" died while exploring the interior of the Big 4 ice caves even though they were experienced and used proper safety gear?
A "professional caver" surely has more interesting places to be than Big 4.