Forum Index > Gear Talk > What is your #1 concern when buying a backpacking tent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
conrad74

conrad74
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 am 
I am curious to know if everyone has the same concern or if this varies greatly from backpacker to backpacker. Is your number 1 concern price? Durability? Weight? Roominess? Or something else?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 1:44 pm 
Head space and over-all room. I bought a used Big Agnes Seedhouse, it's well made, easy to pitch, completely free standing, has a large vestibule, but I can barely sit up in it on only one end and I am only 5' 9". A friend of mine has a Tarp tent, I think it's a Rainbow, and it had a lot of room, while still being lightweight. If I buy another tent , it will very likely be one of those or another of their models. So if someone has a used one, let me know.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
iron

iron
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 2:33 pm 
not collapsing on me in the wind.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 2:49 pm 
iron wrote:
not collapsing on me in the wind.
+ 1 for a true mountaineering tent. I can't narrow it to a single trait, and doing so seems like a silly exercise. Tent selection is an exercise in prioritizing several things, e.g., stormworthiness, weight, roominess, ease of pitching, size of footprint, ability to shed snow, etc. Years ago I threw out the freestanding requirement in favor of tunnel or 'mid designs. IME, tunnel tents (e.g., Stephenson, Hilleberg) offer better stormworthiness and more room for the weight. We use our Stephenson 2R and our MLD DuoMid XL (cuben fiber) about 50/50, depending on the trip. I like both for different reasons. The DuoMid is very roomy for its weight and has held up in some big storms, although it proved inadequate one night last summer in whipping swirling 50-60mph winds with gusts up to 80mph+, forcing us to take shelter under a krumholtz. Our 2R (DIY modded with tie-out gussets) would have been rock solid that night. FWIW, we may supplement our tent quiver with an ultralight 1-person tent.

jalepeno

jalepeno
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm 
My special needs are that the tent be long enough for me- I'm 6'4"- and need at least 90 inches so my feet and head don't touch the tent walls. Light is good, but durability and being stormworthy are equally important. Too much credence is given to tent weight and not enough to strength. I know people with Hilleberg tents who love them, but I am too big for them. Have a wonderful Lighthearted Gear SoLong 6, that works well below treeline. It's good in rain, but I would worry in high wind. Also have an ancient, well-maintained TNF Westwind that I use use in snow and wind. But it's heavy. Most of the time in summer above timberline, I used an REI Quarter Dome plus. It was a good summer tent until last fall when the velcro accessories all fell off after camping On Steens Mt. in 17 degrees. REI said this was normal and I could just glue them back on. Now I don't trust the tent, as the accessory tabs connect the fly to the poles. I looked at online reviews and this seems to be an issue for Marmot and Nemo tents as well. Now I am looking at a SlingFin Crossbow R/S- big enough for me (I'm 6'4"), not too heavy and bomber in wind. The problem is that it's expensive. It could replace the Westwind and Quarter Dome plus in my quiver..

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 pm 
jalepeno wrote:
I'm 6'4"- and need at least 90 inches so my feet and head don't touch the tent walls.
2R is plenty long for you. I'm 6'2", plenty of room to spare. If you're sleeping 2 and want extra side space, 3R for 2 is luxurious

jalepeno

jalepeno
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 pm 
My Colorado brother has a Warmlite 2R. It IS big enough for me, but I have gotten very wet in that tent. He used it in Antarctica and swore by it. Maybe it's a dry, cold alpine tent (?) But we were in several days of torrential thunderstorms between Crested Butte and Aspen. Water was coming in through the floor, the ceiling seams. It was bad.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 8:21 am 
jalepeno wrote:
Water was coming in through the floor, the ceiling seams. It was bad.
User error. Your bro failed to properly seal the seams. It's an easy process: Set up tent in warm dry conditions, brush on silnylon seam sealer (or DIY GE Silicone II diluted with mineral spirits), then allow to dry. When properly seam sealed, the 2R is the most stormworthy 2 person tent for the weight. We've spent many nights in heavy rains and storms, yet never had a drop of water penetrate the ceiling seam. Re the floor: Water can come through any floor with pressure. Use a ground cloth that is fully covered by the tent floor. (Too large a ground cloth can allow water to accumulate between the ground cloth and the floor, a bad thing.) I acknowledge that Stephenson tents sometimes have condensation issues on the single wall tent ends. We control by wiping with camp cloth or Shamwow before exiting tent in the morning. In cold/high condensation conditions we sometimes place our backpacks (covered with backpack covers) against the entry walls. Stephenson tents are not for everyone: In addition to condensation issues, the thin-wall ultralight poles require care when erecting the tent, bomber once erected.

jalepeno

jalepeno
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 8:40 am 
I suspect that you are correct about why we got so wet. We did have a ground cloth, but it was a blue tarp. There was so much water that it ran between the tarp and the tent. I won't let him bring that tent anymore for joint trips. Maybe I should just tell him to seam seal it!

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:17 am 
That is #1 for me...keeps the user dry #2 Appropriate size for the persons using it #3 Appropriate design and materials for the worst expected weather #4 Appropriate weight for currently available materials 2, 3, and 4 are so close...arrange in any order #5 Convenient features (loft, double sliders, etc)

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:03 am 
What DIYSteve said. The number one consideration is what conditions you'll encounter. You don't need a double-wall expedition tent if you're not going to be out in winter high-altitude blizzards. I keep one tent for that - currently my Hilleberg Keron 3 extra-long, which will suffice anywhere on earth in any conditions. For summer backpacking I want something large enough but light and will hold up in a PNW rainstorm. I balanced the few extra ounces in favor of having some extra room and I have a Tarptent Stratospire 2. Being able to sit up in a tent is important to me, along with keeping all my gear dry. There are lots of minimalist options if comfort is not that high on your list.

WaState

WaState
PostSat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 pm 
Get the lightest weight shelter you can afford that will do what you need. For me it is a silnylon tarp and a SOL escape pro bivy sack (8oz) . This is for good Weather forecast trips. If out in very bad weather better to have a tent. Overall a tarp is better for most trips than a tent, late spring, summer, early fall for Goodish weather forecasts. Saves a lot of weight on the back. The bivy sack is for Summit attempt or if leaving base camp for walk about. For bugs use clothing and or bug net clothing depending on need. You can camp most anywhere with a square or rectagular tarp. For two guys A simple tarp 8x10 9x9 or 10x10 about 1.4 lbs lightest guyline with 5 stakes. Use trekking poles One under center of tarp (special tie in point there) other at front edge, looks like a A frame tent in front, front is open. Back and sides are low to ground. Use this setup most of time. Massive space for two. Many times we set it in places a tent would not work, back country climbing. Dan

WaState

WaState
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 10:10 am 
Clarifcation , the SOL pro escape bivy though smallish is big enough to use under tarp with sleeping bag for most people. It can be used a long time before worn out, is rain proof and breathable , 8oz. There are three breathable SOL bivies to choose from, all good. The two cheaper ones are also good, the pro is a little bigger than the middle priced one. Cottage makers make light bivy sacks which are bigger. Dan

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 7:16 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Head space and over-all room. I bought a used Big Agnes Seedhouse, it's well made, easy to pitch, completely free standing, has a large vestibule, but I can barely sit up in it on only one end and I am only 5' 9".
+1 I can get by with my Seedhouse but I am not happy about the headroom. It is very wind worthy, but requires a lot of stakes to make it so. The one saving grace is that it is narrow enough to fit into tight places, like between subalpine firs.
Chief Joseph wrote:
A friend of mine has a Tarp tent, I think it's a Rainbow, and it had a lot of room, while still being lightweight. If I buy another tent , it will very likely be one of those or another of their models. So if someone has a used one, let me know.
This is my goto tent. It is easy to set up and uses only six tent stakes. It is fairly wind worthy and palacious for just one person. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
pcg

pcg
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 pm 
My number one requirement for a foul weather tent is that it be bomber in a storm. Over the years I've gone through a multitude of tents, then used only bivy sacks for awhile, now I'm back to tents again. To that end I can also sing praises to the Stephenson Warmlite 2R. Mine was seam sealed from the factory and has never leaked. It’s expensive, but I bought it after lots of research and I’ve not been disappointed. My wife and I have had some scary nights in it – there’s no sleeping when the wind is roaring and beating on the tent, but it has lived up to its reputation. Compared to other tents, it’s also easier to set up in high winds. It’s no fun getting up multiple times in the night to make sure everything is solid and fast on a tent with lots of guy lines. On the 2R, you tighten the guy lines from the inside and there are only three and I’ve never had to tighten them. The tent is absolutely bomber. On one occasion we found ourselves in sub-freezing temps and winds so high we could no longer stand and were forced to pitch the tent and get inside. It literally saved our lives. My go to tent for normal solo trips is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. It's barely big enough to get myself and my pack and photo gear inside, but so far it's done a good job keeping me dry in rain and moderate wind so I’m happy with it. It’s half the weight of the much larger 2R, but it’s not a four season tent and with a separate rain fly, is not deigned to withstand high wind.