Forum Index > Gear Talk > What is your #1 concern when buying a backpacking tent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:42 pm 
A fly that doesn't wet out.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 4:40 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
A fly that doesn't wet out.
Blue Tarp Camper! or that cuben fiber stuff....

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 am 
(1) Impervious to the elements (2) Room (3) Weight (4) Aesthetics are acceptable A good tent will last years, so I'm not too sensitive to the weight. Also, the design has to make sense. I have a very light one-person BA tent, but the door is on the end, it's a pain to get in and out of, so I don't like using it. They made a similar tent the next year with the door on the size, it weighs a few more ounces because the zipper is longer, but it would be much nicer to use. That would be a good trade-off for me.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:47 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Also, the design has to make sense. I have a very light one-person BA tent, but the door is on the end, it's a pain to get in and out of, so I don't like using it. They made a similar tent the next year with the door on the size, it weighs a few more ounces because the zipper is longer, but it would be much nicer to use.
Front entry tents have one very big advantage, i.e. they are narrow and be set-up in tight, narrow, and/or weird places. I have been on more than a few places in the past few years where it would have been impossible to pitch a side vestibule tent. Just one more thing to consider.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:46 am 
For me price and weight are the big things... I got a Eureka spitfire and have used it regularly for years with no problem and no ground tarp but I take care of my gear, on it's maiden voyage I was in Texas and stayed hunkered down in it for a hour and a half thunderstorm that pounded raid... I stayed completely dry even though I had not sealed the seems yet...I also tested it against 30 mph wind with gusts close to 40 in the ND Badlands with no issues. Though the stakes that it comes with are trash I instantly changed them out for beefy kelty ones. For a price of about 150 bucks if I remember right it can do what most 250 dollar tents do. It does not afford room for gear really though and has a tiny vestibule but really my bag is quite waterproof so it's not a big deal to me. I am also only 5"10 and have an abundance of foot room because it's so long. I won't ever buy another solo tent unless I begin mountaineering and need it, or this one finally fails on me.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:00 am 
Quality first, weight second. Happily, if you got the quality on target the light weight wont be an issue. This of course you need to target your use first. I.E. three season four season etc.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln