Forum Index > Trail Talk > John Muir Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 03, 2018 4:12 pm 
If you want to go SOBO on the traditional traditional route you must start in Yosemite at Happy Isles, long odds on that permit. Somewhat easier but still difficult starting at Tuolumne Meadows. There is a daily Gupta over Donahue Pass exiting Yosemite. If you enter outside the park from Mammoth or June Lake you do not have to deal with Yosemite and will have less problems. It can be hard to exit at Whitney Portal as it fills up. Usually far easier to exit at Cottonwood and you can still climb Whitney but not exit. As was stated here it is easier to go NOBO entering at Cottonwood with only problem is you have to go over Forester Pass 13k'+ in the first couple days. It gets complicated because of all the different jurisdictions.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 8:30 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Usually far easier to exit at Cottonwood and you can still climb Whitney but not exit.
? I guess I don't understand the hiking protocol here. You can't just leave the trail whenever, wherever you want? Like I-5? So what's the allure of joining another regulated path for transporting oneself from "here to there"? Help me understand this please?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 8:38 am 
The backcountry rangers really do ask to see permits. I had to show my permit several times along the length of the trail.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:30 am 
moonspots wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Usually far easier to exit at Cottonwood and you can still climb Whitney but not exit.
? I guess I don't understand the hiking protocol here. You can't just leave the trail whenever, wherever you want? Like I-5? So what's the allure of joining another regulated path for transporting oneself from "here to there"? Help me understand this please?
It's complicated Whitney is the high point of the trail and the official terminus. The trail down to Whitney Portal requires a separate permit which is usually hard to get, think St Helens climbing permit. The JMT and PCT split at Crabtree RS on the West side of Whitney with the PCT going on to Cottonwood. If you start SOBO from an entrance other than Yosemite you need special permit allowing exit at Whitney but it is easy to get permit allowing visit to Summit and exit anywhere South. There are always Rangers on the trail from Whitney Portal to Whitney checking permits and collecting blue bags slobs leave on the trail.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 12:45 pm 
Sounds like another case of "Call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye". How about after Labor Day? I would rather go when it's cooler anyway.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 1:57 pm 
The JMT is strange, with the use it would Appear crowded but because of the length and permits it does not seem to be when you are hiking it, except for a few popular campsites. If you go a mile or two off trail you are pretty much gaurented solitude there are major lake basins hardly anyone visits. The trail itself has a lot of people who stick to the official route and try for maximum mileage every day. Backcountry travel in the Sierra is far easier than here., lots of open country little brush. Late season is less crowded but snowstorms with huge dumps can occur especially around Whitney. Permits are available six months in advance and you need to get them then. There are over 30,000 members of the JMT FB group and most of them are trying for permits.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 2:36 pm 
Wow, I don't want to work that hard just to go hiking! I really don't want or need to hike the entire JMT , mainly I just want to explore the area, so sounds like off-trail exploration would be my cup of tea.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 3:03 pm 
I used to work near Ridgecrest and am very familiar with the area. Try the Sierra High Route by Roper, Mountaineers for a good start on easy cross country, with a little experience it is easy to find routes. Like here there is almost always a trail to any substantial lake even if not shown on maps. There are Trail heads accessed from Yosemite, Mammoth, June lake, Big Pine, Independence, and Lone Pine on the East Side. West side approaches are more gentile, longer, and greener. The main hazard for north westerners are stream crossings in early season, lightening, altitude, and sun burn. I picked up an old hike book at Goodwill for a couple bucks easier than online searching. Have fun.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 pm 
If you aren't committed to hiking the JMT and just want to check out some of the Sierras, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails to choose from. I haven't been down there for several years, but close to half a dozen different times I've been able to get walk up permits for whatever itinerary I wanted to do in Yosemite and Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks and the bordering John Muir and Ansel Adams Wilderness Areas. Some of the stuff outside the NPs is every bit as good as the stuff inside the parks. Mammoth Lakes and Bishop are my favorite gateways/entry points into the Sierras.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The main hazard for north westerners are stream crossings in early season, lightening, altitude, and sun burn.
And rattlesnakes! While the rattlesnake is very passive(I have stepped within inches of them without reaction), it does make a hiker feel pretty stupid for not watching where he walks while days from the trailhead and help on the high sierra trail... not that I would know from experience or anything... ahem. They are a bit camouflaged and I don't look down enough, I guess. That entire region... the main spine of the Sierra... is spectacular though. Whether you choose Mt Whitney, JMT, HST or SHR... or any of the many other other possible loops/routes... you will not be disappointed! ...unless you stupidly step on a rattlesnake. Eye roll.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:14 pm 
No snakes above 10k' in the Sierras. Quite a few in low valleys however.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 9:36 am 
Oh good so that justifies my lack of attention for at least part of the trip then!

KevinDo

KevinDo
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 4:45 pm 
There are many great areas other than the JMT to check out in the high sierra! I recently went explored the Eastern Sierra near Big Pine and posted a trip report in the TR section. You can also find more ideas and inspiration from the YosemiteNews and Highsierratopix groups.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 5:06 pm 
After Labor Day? Possible but keep an eye on the weather, make sure you have a viable escape route (i.e. lower, not getting stuck on the backcountry side of a 11,000' pass) if an autumn snowfall becomes problematic. Sierra terrain has tons of relatively mellow off trail travel routes above and at the tree line. JMT (in my opinion) isn't worth the hassle. And it keeps dropping below tree line. Better to do parts of Roper's High Route, other slight trail, faint trail and off trail trips that keep you high up.

Off trail rambler