Forum Index > Trail Talk > ONP Wilderness Backpacking Permit Reservations Accepted Beginning February 15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm 
Thursday February 01, 2018 12:53 PST Olympic National Park News Release Wilderness Backpacking Permit Reservations Accepted Beginning February 15 PORT ANGELES, WA – The Wilderness Information Center (WIC) will begin accepting wilderness permit reservation requests beginning February 15 for the 2018 season. Reservation requests will now be accepted via email, mail or in person at the WIC in Port Angeles. The reservation request form is currently being updated and will be available on the park website before February 15th. The WIC previously accepted reservation requests via fax, mail, or hand delivery beginning March 15th of every year. Reservation requests will no longer be accepted via fax. Switching from fax to email will streamline permit processing for WIC staff and make the reservation process easier and more accessible to the general public. Reservations are strongly encouraged when planning trips that include one or more nights to quota areas and group sites: Quota Areas Ozette Coast (Yellow Banks to Point of the Arches) Royal Basin/Royal Lake Lake Constance Upper Lena Lake Flapjack Lakes (including Gladys Divide) Grand Valley and Badger Valley Sol Duc/Seven Lakes Basin Hoh Lake and CB Flats Hoh River Trail group sites Upper Hoh River Trail sites (Elk Lake, Glacier Meadows, Martin Creek) Reservations are required for all Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) and Special Use Permit (SUP) holders regardless of itinerary location. Wilderness Permit fees are $8.00 per person, per night for individuals 16 or older. Annual Wilderness Passes are $45.00 per person (annual flat rate). Reservations will not be accepted earlier than February 15th. For more information about wilderness permits and backpacking in Olympic National Park, please visit the park website at www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-trip-planner.htm. www.nps.gov

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:34 pm 
Thanks for posting this Ski. The following quote is from the Wilderness Camping Permits page at the Olympic National Park website in the Wilderness Use Fee section.
Quote:
Senior and Access Pass holder discounts no longer apply.
The following quote is from the back of the Golden Age Passport.
Quote:
Pass is nontransferable and entitles passport signee ONLY to 50 percent discount on use fees, e.g., camping and cave tours. Pass is not valid for any special recreation permit fee.
Guess the wilderness camping permits must be considered a special recreation permit fee.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 pm 
The National Park Service, on its Golden Access Passport wrote:
"The permittee is also entitled to use any sites, facilities, equipment, or services provided at any Federal outdoor recreation area, excluding those provided by concessioners or other contractors, at the rate of 50 percent of the established recreation use fees."

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
hbb

hbb
PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 am 
I'm pretty sure the only time I have used a fax machine in the past 5 years was to send a reservation request to the ONP WIC. E-mail will be a nice change.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Feb 02, 2018 11:57 am 
we'll probably read that it was a typo ... should be March 15, ha ha February 15 works great!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss