Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower entiat conditions update - 3 feb 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 7:26 pm 
I like rain, but when it rains warm water on top of snow in February, this quickly gets old to me. So, like many, I got the idea to go east instead and went for a baby easy snowshoe in lower Entiat area. Just 16.5 miles and only 4600 feet gain. But you can go forever if you want. It is vast and open. I loved it a lot. Humans seen – 0. Wild turkeys seen – dozens. Mule deer seen – hundreds. First important snow conditions update - turns out deer posthole too.
It is a mixed bag. Some sunny slopes are completely dry, but windswept areas still have enough of very soft snow to go in at least knee deep. I used snowshoes, but they didn't actually help all that much - it is way too warm and snow is crazy soft. Wind was INSANE too. I'm not exaggerating. Just as soon as we started, we stumbled on a flock of wild turkeys. They were very friendly and not at all scared.
As I said deer are everywhere. It is there winter range. It is important not to harass them and let them survive. Finally my 400 mm heavy dslr lens turned to be useful. All deer photos are taken at a very long range, using 400 mm + crop.
Winter is very tough time for deer and there is some predation going on too. Cookie found a bloody bone at one spot. It was gone on our way back. Don't know who did it.
Lower Entiat is very beautiful this time of year, though it is sad how little snow there is left.
P.S. Special tree

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:04 pm 
Great wildlife pics!

RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 pm 
I always thought turkeys were pretty tame out here and will approach you easily or stand out in the open with no fear. In the east turkeys are fairly reclusive and hunting them is considered sport. People will talk for hours about a turkey kind of like this guy.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 pm 
Dang, that made my day, Rich, especially since I got cornered by my hay guy's giant-sized attack turkey the day before yesterday. ykm.gif

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostMon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 pm 
I've never seen so many deer in one TR. Excellent and awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Feb 05, 2018 5:46 pm 
Michael Lewis wrote:
I've never seen so many deer in one TR. Excellent and awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!
I have never seen so many deer in one place! It was amazing - deer everywhere.