Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantment Permits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 am 
When will the lottery for Enchantment permits open?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowday

Snowday
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 am 
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev3_053607
Quote:
Enchantment Lottery Timeframes for 2018 START Date/Time: February 15, 2018 @ 12:01 am PT (Pacific Time) = February 15, 2018 @ 3:01 am ET (Eastern Time) END Date/Time: March 2, 2018 @ 11:59 pm PT = March 3, 2018 @ 2:59 am ET We are accepting lottery applications for overnight trips into the Enchantment Permit area between May 15, 2018 and October 31, 2018. All applications received during the lottery will be randomly drawn on March 14, 2018 (12:01 am ET) / March 13, 2018 (9:01 pm PT). View lottery results: Log in to your Recreation.gov account to view lottery results on/after March 14, 2018 Accept/confirm your permit award between March 13, 2018 9:01 pm PT and March 31, 2018 11:59 pm PT All unclaimed lottery awards will be returned to the advance reservation system April 1 around 7am PT

iron

iron
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am 
Jeff wrote:
Most of us are used to various forms of growth in the region, but this is shocking.
dang. that's nuts. glory days are long gone. but, might as well keep posting our redlines anyway. what harm will it do?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 1:14 pm 
The takeaway from that graphic is that Stuart and Caroline zones should be a piece of cake to get permits for.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 4:02 pm 
That might depend on what dates you put in for.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 am 
Jeff wrote:
I believe last year or the year before alternate trip leaders were removed, but it looks like they are back.
Hard to tell right now, but I hope they're requiring the alternate trip leader's name on the application when it's submitted. That would hopefully reduce problems with people selling permits while still allowing a group of friends to go on the trip if the primary trip leader can't make it.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 11:38 am 
Only time I have been to the Enchantments was 2006 with my dad. We showed up at the ranger station in Leavenworth on a Monday morning, and the ranger picked names out of his hat for the walk-up permits. We had like 75% odds of getting a permit. Spent 3 glorious nights up there. I would be just content with that memory, but problem is, my wife has not been there and is dying to go...

iron

iron
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm 
Foist wrote:
Only time I have been to the Enchantments was 2006 with my dad. We showed up at the ranger station in Leavenworth on a Monday morning, and the ranger picked names out of his hat for the walk-up permits. We had like 75% odds of getting a permit. Spent 3 glorious nights up there. I would be just content with that memory, but problem is, my wife has not been there and is dying to go...
same exact story. october 2006 with my dad. prime larches. blue skies and sun. blew my mind at the time.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm 
This also confirms the point I have been harping on when hiking crowds comes up. Yes, Seattle has exploded from a population of 600k to 700k since 2010. That's nuts -- a 17% increase. But the hiking increase has way, way outpaced even that explosion. Just check out that chart -- that's an 800% increase!! I think the simple reason is that hiking is now cool with the kids. When I was in college (class of '02) I did a lot of hiking. I did not see many people my age on the trail. It was mostly older people. When I told people I spent my summer vacation doing a lot of hiking, the response was, oh how interesting and quaint and quirky that you do that stuff. Now, you see tons of college-age kids and twenty-somethings. But coolness is cyclical. What is cool today may not be cool tomorrow. The crowds will not go all the way back down to pre-Amazon levels, but my prediction is hiking's popularity will recede somewhat.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:11 pm 
In the 50's hiking was not cool unless you were Scandinavian, German, or a hunter. By the 60's it started to become cool leading to a Boom in the 70's. By the 80's it was becoming uncool in the same way groovy was passé. 90's grundge types were urban indoor types in spite of flannel shirts. The oughts started to make hiking more cool which accelerated with the Great Recession because it was cheap. I wish it would become un cool again huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm 
Instagram needs CANCEL ALL ACCOUNTS that post outdoor pics that make it look fun!!! ONLY graphic posts about people starving and freezing death, attacked by bears, and getting their hands blown off by stove explodes!!!

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 pm 
Jeff wrote:
I'm not sure if this was posted in the last year, but I came across some pretty detailed lottery statistics. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd568443.pdf
This is very disconcerting to me as, at age 70, I don't have a lot of years left to be able to use such a permit. I knew the number of applications were extremely high last year for just a few slots. My email has been inundated with information from Patagonia, Backpacker Mag, REI, et al re "Government is taking our land." I don't paying to use my land (lottery fees, NW Forest Pass, Mt Adams Climbing Pass, Sno park pass, Discovery Pass etc) to use MY land. I just wish that I COULD use my land. Last year I was unable to get permits for The Enchantments, The Wonderland Trail, and back country Glacier National Park. I sincerely doubt I'll have much better luck this year. This year I've already been unsuccessful obtaining a permit for the PCT that is usable for me as all the dates in April and May are long gone.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 pm 
That is a bummer, but there are so many places to go that are just as beautiful as those famous trails, if not more so. Try the Pacific Northwest Trail instead of the PCT; circumnavigate Glacier Peak instead of Rainier; and so on. Just ignore the FOMO (fear of missing out) because you're not missing out.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm 
schifferj wrote:
This year I've already been unsuccessful obtaining a permit for the PCT that is usable for me as all the dates in April and May are long gone.
So do portions that don't require a permit. That would be very cool to do.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 6:43 am 
I remember when you did NOT need a permit to hike the Enchants - and dogs were ok.