Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantment Permits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 8:21 pm 
Of my Eight trips into the Chants Four were reservations and Four were lottery Forest service front door stops. Unfortunately they've changed the rules for getting a door permit.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 11:08 pm 
How so?

contour5

contour5
PostSat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 am 
They just make up new rules whenever they feel like it. I'd probably do the same thing if I were ever to wield total despotic power over our vast, shared natural resources.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 am 
Quote:
Dear Customer, We are sorry to inform you that you were not successful in securing a reservation in the ENCHANTMENT PERMIT AREA LOTTERY 2018.
Another wasted $10.

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Quote:
Dear Customer, We are sorry to inform you that you were not successful in securing a reservation in the ENCHANTMENT PERMIT AREA LOTTERY 2018.
Another wasted $10.
I and all of my buddies got the same message. I'd be curious to see how many applications there were for this years lottery. We also got the same treatment for the Selway River, Snake River, and Smith River. Curious as to where the tens of thousands of dollars people spend on lottery permits go. My alternative, The Beartooth Absaroka Wilderness over in Montana is still free. I'll be headed there this year. Alternatively, I may just "poach" the Enchantments.

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 8:08 am 
Quote:
We are sorry to inform you that you were not successful in securing a reservation in the ENCHANTMENT PERMIT AREA LOTTERY 2018.
I have lost all faith with the enchantment permit system! I have applied every year! I have never "won". I know several people who have "won" permits each and every year, and they make it a annual family thing. There is no way this lottery system is random! I have attempted to get a walk up permit several times for the core, always end up at eightmile. My 2018 Motto... F the enchantments!

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 8:38 am 
Zero luck this year as well. I had requested Snow Lake on three different weeks. I was able to get an Eight Mile three years ago. 1 for 5 lotteries.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am 
SlingShot wrote:
I have lost all faith with the enchantment permit system! I have applied every year! I have never "won". I know several people who have "won" permits each and every year, and they make it a annual family thing. There is no way this lottery system is random!
Every year you enter the lottery and don't win, you should get a code for the next year that will increase your chances. After, say, five years you should automatically get a permit for the zone of your choice. As it stands, you have people who have been waiting 5-20 years for a permit while some dude from Kansas who only just heard about the Enchantments from a magazine article just got a permit for his entire family. The joke's on them, though, because instead of doing one big trip this year I'll do 2-3 day trips which will probably increase my overall "impact" on the area.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 am 
schifferj wrote:
Alternatively, I may just "poach" the Enchantments.
My style!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 am 
SlingShot wrote:
F the enchantments!
Yeah!

yaki

yaki
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:33 am 
I got July 25 Core Enchantment permit. Shocked and beyond EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:42 am 
yaki wrote:
I got July 25 Core Enchantment permit. Shocked and beyond EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats! I came up empty as did a backpacking partner of mine. We put in for late August/early September -- that is likely peak request time.

Galadriel

Galadriel
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 pm 
I agree, J-S-H. Got the usual "We are sorry" notification. Doesn't look like I'll ever get up there.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 1:48 pm 
Guilty of not following current permit application process, but did they do away with the "day of" walk up lottery at the ranger station in Leavenworth? That used to work great, especially if you went mid-week.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 pm 
Just found out a facebook friend that I went on a backpacking trip with once scored core zone permits for mid July. A woman I was dating scored core zone permits for us years ago, and then a couple years after that got permits for Colchuck Lake. Some people have the Midas touch I guess.