Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trip Report - hiking in Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jartelt

jartelt
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:33 pm 
My wife and I spent 5 days traveling and hiking in Patagonia is Southern Argentina. We first visited the town of El Chalten and did a couple day hikes which had views of Mount Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre. We then went to El Calafate and explored the area around the Perito Moreno Glacier. Here is a blog post with the full description, maps, and many pictures: https://backpackers-review.com/trip-reports/los-glaciares-national-park/ The view of Mount Fitz Roy from the Laguna de los Tres
The Piedra Blancas Glacier
Mount Fitz Roy from afar
View from the Mirador de Las Vueltas
Laguna Torre
The Perito Moreno Glacier from afar
A Glacier hanging on Cerro Negro
The face of the Perito Moreno Glacier from our boat
Perito Moreno Glacier from the observation deck
Perito Moreno Glacier from the observation deck

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jartelt

jartelt
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 pm 
No, it looks like the glacier in the video is in the Italian Alps (per the description of another video of the same event). The Perito Moreno Glacier (my picture) is in Southern Argentina. The observation deck seems far enough away that no one would get hurt in the event of a big glacier calving!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 1:16 pm 
Beautiful photos! up.gif Looks like you had nice weather for at least part of your trip, never a sure thing in that neighborhood.

jartelt

jartelt
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 2:34 pm 
Yea, we had beautiful weather on the day we hiked to Laguna de los Tres. We could see Fitz Roy the whole hike from start to finish, which made for some great photos. On the second day when we went to Laguna Torre, we had a cloudy day. Cerro Torre never came out of the clouds, so we missed out on the great view. Such is life in Patagonia... you never know what weather you will get!
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Looks like you had nice weather for at least part of your trip, never a sure thing in that neighborhood.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm 
awesome! enjoy seeing photos of places I've hiked. brings back lots of memories. bummer about the weather at Laguna Torre. it was a gorgeous day when I went IN the water, with a little iceberg in it!! https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8003055 I enjoyed your Torres Del Paine trip, too! thanks for sharing!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
ree

ree
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:28 pm 
Cool that you had great views at Fitzroy!