Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do you use electrolyte replacement drinks when you hike?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm 
I have stupidly low BP/pulse, something that runs in the family. My doc even firmly advised me NOT to forgo salt while pregnant after seeing how low my BP was parked even after a mocha and walking a couple miles before coming in for the usual morning checkup. Endurolytes have really been a game changer, as previously I would sometimes get sidelined with searing headaches and occasionally would get downright lightheaded. They've also helped w cramping afterwards. I have tried just eating more salty stuff and it seems to help as well. That and caffeine are my friends for life.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ejain

ejain
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 pm 
$1 of Nuun tablets while hiking saves me from eating a $2 bag of potato chips after hiking :-)

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm 
Before this thread I’d never heard of Nuun tablets. I do drink a lot of water.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 1:45 am 
Gatorade does not work for me. I believe it’s all the sugar. Seems to be working at first, but then I start excessively urinating to get rid of the sugar which then leads to dehydration. At some point I loose all desire to drink which only makes the problem worse. If using the powder making a very diluted version is much better. In the end it took me an embarrassing long time to learn to just not use it at all. Nunn on the other hand is wonderful. I just use a half tab in my water bladder (generally in 1 1/2 litters) in the morning. It’s amazing how much more water efficient this makes me compared to Gatorade or even plain water. If it’s stupidly hot I sometimes add another half tab at lunch.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 2:21 pm 
I cannot drink straight water while hiking in warm weather, no matter how many salty snacks I have. I am good for about a day and then I lose my appetite and start getting weaker. I have tried a variety of products and most of them have worked as long as they have real sugar in them. Gatorade is the cheapest so that is what I use. Meanwhile, my lifelong hiking companions, my sister and bro-in-law, do the exact same hikes but have zero problems with straight water. Your urine should be a nice healthy yellow when you are hiking. If it is clear, that means that your body is short of electrolytes and is rejecting water, so you will eventually weaken from dehydration. The yellow color is excess electrolytes. Figuring out the Gatorade thing was a game-changer for me! I need a full canister of powder per week.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 4:40 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
The yellow color is excess electrolytes.
The yellow is urochrome, or sometimes called urobilin. It is not excreted electrolyte. Vitamins, minerals, and other things contribute to the color as well. but the main source of the yellow color is urochrome. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 4:59 pm 
In the southwest they often have color coded signs over urinals with the clearer colors indicating proper hydration and the darker colors indicating dehydration. Nothing is said about electrolytes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm 
I DONT NEED THAT!!! i just buck up and get it done!!

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm 
Only time I drink electrolytes while hiking is if I got the drink/packet for free. I usually have 1-2 drinks with electrolytes a day while working in the summer.

Have I offended you today?
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
The yellow is urochrome, or sometimes called urobilin. It is not excreted electrolyte. Vitamins, minerals, and other things contribute to the color as well. but the main source of the yellow color is urochrome.
Whoops, did not know that. rolleyes.gif I will be more precise because this might be useful to someone: yellow color in my urine while I am hiking is an indication that my metabolism is functioning normally, while clear urine indicates that my body is rejecting water. Some guidance says that clear urine is an indication that a person is fully hydrated but it is a danger sign for me. From reading this thread, it is obvious that different folks get different issues with electrolytes, I seem to be in a minority. You should get stronger when you do long hikes, not weaker. If you get weaker, you might find a fix on this thread!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:38 pm 
I use SUCCEED S Caps on longer hikes in the summer. They seem to work quite well.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 pm 
I use them on long bike rides where it can be hard to carry water and nutrients. But while hiking it's easier to stop and gawk at the view while ingesting calories and water.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
I use SUCCEED S Caps on longer hikes in the summer.
+1

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 pm 
We use some on desert hikes in summer, but I think a lot of this is BS.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 6:13 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
I use SUCCEED S Caps on longer hikes in the summer.
+1
Ditto.