Forum Index > Trail Talk > Do you use electrolyte replacement drinks when you hike?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 4:18 pm 
I've had good luck with Tailwind these past few years, which also has some minimal calories along with electrolytes. Although I haven't run an ultra for a while, I have spent some very hot days out with minimal solid calories but with mixed bottles of Tailwind, which you can also buy with caffeine. I used to pop the pills for ultras and they worked well... and I have experienced hyponatremia, but it was during a training session so I stopped and arrested further development. I had a belly full of fluid sloshing around but with low electrolytes it was not being absorbed. Not something I want to experience again. My daughter adopted Tailwind for swimming in college and it made a big difference for her. I also introduced it to a budding ultra runner here on nwhikers who has just finished his first 100 with another one coming up, so it's working for him on the longer endurance events.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 pm 
So far, 50+ years, I'm good with plain water and good food. But I'm not doing ultras or super long trips. I wonder if as I age that will change. Slowing down compensates for less fitness. I'll keep all this in mind. Good thread.

l'Emmerdeur

l'Emmerdeur
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am 
Over the past 30 years I've gone from both extremes (just Gatorade/gookinade/etc to water only) and have finally worked out a happy medium which seems to work for me. I only have water in my reservoir these days (much easier to keep it clean!) and carry and extra water bottle and a few Nuun tabs for use as-needed (heavy sweater). I also keep a few thermo-tabs handy for emergencies/leg cramps-- although those are usually a night time when I'm sleeping phenomenon, which is my own damn fault because of my poor stretching habits. I generally don't have as much appetite on the trail, so I get by during the day with jerky, nuts/trail mix, hard candy and maybe a little cheese. I'll also have a powdered multi-vit and emergen-C with my morning hydro. I've gotten a tummy-ache a few times from too much water, consumed too quickly, but the water intoxication you guys are taking about sounds almost as brutal as going the other way into dehydration/heat exhaustion/heat-stroke. Scary stuff on your own, since the disorientation makes it hard to figure out the problem until it's too late.

SEMPER IMPROVISIO -or- You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find that you learn how to Deal...
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:28 am 
I don't get cramping or anything, but when I sweat a lot, it's followed by an unquenchable thirst. Brawndo makes the thirst go away. Whole milk works just as well. Every April, I drive out to Leavenworth with my bike and do a ~50 mile ride through the mountains to enjoy the scenery. A latte when I get back to my car goes a long way toward making me feel well hydrated again.