PostFri Feb 09, 2018 11:15 am 
In case you were wondering

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm 
Most(almost all) of the storms have been missing Central Oregon. Mt Bachelor upper trails and lifts are working hard at keeping their "Spring Conditions" but the snow disappears really fast once off The Mountain. I was out mtn biking some nearby trails yesterday that are in the scrubby lowlands and the trails were already turning powder dry, more like late Spring. Monday I removed my Winter snow tires after my last couple of drives up to snowshoe/xc ski were on dry pavement and around town I was damaging the tires by driving them in 60 degree temps. I realize it could still turn around and I might have to spend a few more hours swapping tires if the trend changes, but it was getting silly driving to mtn biking and riding in shirt sleeves and shorts with studded tires. Of course "The Nordic Report" on the mt Bachelor site is still reporting perfect conditions. They have an excellent and very creative and entertaining writer on staff. Controlled burns are being stepped up in anticipation of a brutal fire season this year around here. Although I am surprised anything is left to burn after last year.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:58 pm 
It'd be nice if the WA Cascades had more high snow telemetry sites. Lyman Lake, Harts Pass, Corral Pass (out of service), Miners Ridge (discontinued 2010) are/were pretty high but other than those 4 all but a few WA Cascade snow telemetry sites (NWAC and Snotel) are <4500 and many much lower than that. With Miners Ridge and Corral Pass out, we're down to 2 telemetry sites >6000'. (I think I got that right). ETA: Brown Top site is 5830'. The average Olympics snow telemetry site (there are only 4 Snotel sites) are significantly higher. I don't recall the exact number -- maybe 700' - 800' higher average? Maybe more? Using averages of WA Cascades vs. Olympics snow telemetry manifested in an ostensibly confusing set of data a few years ago when a superficial look led some to conclude that the Olympics had a considerably higher than average snowfall year while the WA Cascades had a low snowfall year. In fact, a closer look revealed that both ranges had similar above average snowfall >5500' and a below average snowfall <3500'. This will become a bigger factor as things if the general warming year-to-year warming trend continues.

JPH

JPH
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 pm 
Yeah, Snoqualmie highlights it pretty well where it's really thin at the base but the upper mountain at Alpental is in pretty good shape.

christensent

christensent
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:27 pm 
That graph is snow-water equivalent. Does that get pushed up in rain storms because the snow is probably holding a very unusual amount of re-frozen rain at this point in the year? I find it hard to believe the snowpack depth is at normal levels, at least below 5000ft.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
We still have 6 weeks to go. But it looks to be average unless I am reading it wrong??

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 pm 
Washington is going to be in trouble if the next month stays dry and warm. In general, I expect another record summer for overtime. I have received a few pictures from buddies who've been messing around in the Norse Peak Wilderness. There is not much snow on the ground.

Have I offended you today?
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
We still have 6 weeks to go. But it looks to be average unless I am reading it wrong??
That’s they way I read it too. Pigtail Peak is the one I follow. It’s on the hill S of White Pass, at 5,000’. I’m not sure where it is in relation to the ski runs. Snow water equivalent 33.8”. Average for date 35.9”. In my book that’s as close to being on the line as it gets. So it’s not just the N Cascades that are at average snow pack.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
It’s on the hill S of White Pass, at 5,000’. I’m not sure where it is in relation to the ski runs.
The Snotel site is south of Holiday at roughly 5800' elevation

Have I offended you today?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 pm 
First time I have seen green on NWAC in a long long time in February.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 1:01 am 
This map pretty much sums it up. Washington at least on the surface looks ok. Oregon on the other hand looks pretty grim, and smoke will travel. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf

gb

gb
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 6:57 am 
I think if you look Cascades west slope above 5000-5500' north and 6500-7000' south in Washington you would find a pretty deep snowpack. January was very wet. The snow levels were often 5000' north and 6500' south and that is reflected in the snow depths. The east side except Washington Pass/Harts Pass has not been as wet as there has been westerly flow most of the time. December was not as good of a month for precipitation because of the long dry spell but November was pretty good. February so far is not that wet but there are indications that that may begin to change in about a week or so.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 am 
Adohrn wrote:
This map pretty much sums it up. Washington at least on the surface looks ok. Oregon on the other hand looks pretty grim, and smoke will travel. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf
Not necessarily. I am remembering the winter of 1980-81 I think, when there wasn't much snow. We did not have a big fire year because it turned out to be a wet summer. It's hard to predict what kind of a fire season one will have until it happens.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 am 
gb's assessment seems right
Naches Hiker wrote:
The Snotel site is south of Holiday at roughly 5800' elevation
Pigtail Peak Snotel site. Thanks for pointing that out. Snow level decreased from 103" on 1/31 to 82" today.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am 
% of normal Snotel map says Washington isn't doing too bad, but Oregon is dying.

friluftsliv