Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for an overnighter this weekend within a 3-4 hours of Seattle?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nicksamps
Mr

nicksamps
Mr
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 6:07 pm 
Hi all! The weather isn't looking great near Seattle but seems to be better further east i.e. Leavenworth is looking pretty clear. I'm new here and am having a hard time figuring out what level the snow is gonna be at. Not allergic to snow just don't want to deal with an ice axe, sliding down a mountain side or sleeping on the dang stuff. Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 pm 
Teanaways, do some research. You can't really go wrong.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 pm 
There's a few posts on the Facebook WHC group on camping in the Teanaway and Icicle Ridge north of the Enchantments. That should work. Lots of options there smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:53 am 
Check WTA.ORG to see where other folks are going. This time of year, the Teanaway region is good (on their site, in the Hiking Guide search module, the Teanaway is in the Snoqualmie Pass Region, and Teanway is the sub-region; that will pull up a list of trails in the Teanway area). Not too hot yet, and the snow is melting or has melted. Check Esmeralda Basin, Navaho Peak, and see if there's any reports yet for Bean Creek Basin (which may not yet be melted out). All these trails have campsites and exploration around them.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 pm 
I was in Bean Creek Basin about a week ago. Some patches of snow, but plenty of bare ground. Fairly wet as that basin tends to be this time of year. I didn't go check out the main camp area, but there was a group over there. Up above the basin, everything south and east facing is nearly bare already. Headlamp Basin just beyond Ingalls Pass was pretty much completely snow covered still, wouldn't recommend that unless you want to pitch your tent on snow. Probably a few slabs bare but none of the actual established tent sites.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 5:40 pm 
More specifics about what you would like to see would help. If you don't require expansive mountain views, there's much to be had out there. There's lots of hikes in the river valleys that have wilderness backpacking 3-4 hours from Seattle. Try the Suiattle River, Sauk, any of the Olympic river valleys. Ross Lake is probably within your range too.

nicksamps
Mr

nicksamps
Mr
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 9:08 pm 
Many thanks all! Really really apprecaited. Looks like the Teanaway area is a good bet. I actually ran a trail half marathon there the other weekend, feels so different to the west side of the pass! Also realize that I could have been more specific! Mountain views are goal number one for me but I'm also partial to being surrounded in trees.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 pm 
Be mindful of this weekend's weather forecast.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 8:12 am 
With the weather forecast in mind, I recommend Ancient Lakes, Chelan Lakeshore, and the Colockum low route. It is usually too hot in these places in June, but not this weekend, and even though it may be cloudy everywhere, there will not be much rain and it will be warm. It will be very cold and wet in the Teanaway.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
nicksamps
Mr

nicksamps
Mr
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:06 am 
I'm seeing mixed reports about the expected weather this weekend at Teanaway. What weather service do you guys use? accuweather + weather.com are giving cloudy/sunny but forecast.gov is predicting: Saturday: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. West wind 7 to 13 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Saturday Night:A slight chance of rain showers before 11pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Sunday:A chance of rain and snow showers before 11am, then a chance of rain showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 48. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Which looks doable, definitely not ideal but all my weekends are busy for the next month or so frown.gif

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 2:17 pm 
The point forecast from forecast.weather.gov for the junction of Bean and Beverly Creeks at 5154 ft: Saturday A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. West wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Saturday Night A slight chance of rain showers before 11pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Sunday A chance of snow showers before 11am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Sunday Night A chance of rain and snow showers before 11pm, then a chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

dropper

dropper
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 3:27 pm 
Head for the teanaway friend, rain accumulation of less than a tenth of inch means sprinkles & a forecast like that tends to thin the crowds a bit. I may even see you over there.