seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:07 pm 
Yep, the dirtbag gear scam has come full circle and everyone has to pay for it. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:27 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
the dirtbag gear scam has come full circle and everyone has to pay for it.
How so? The new LLBean one year return policy is generous enough. The only "everyone having to pay for it" are the dirtbags who egregiously abused the old policy.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Yep, the dirtbag gear scam has come full circle and everyone has to pay for it.
Nailed it. A few selfish jerks game the system and we all pay for it. I ran into a guy who on a regular basis returned rain jackets and boots after 3 or more years of hard use. I dunno why REI and LLB didn't qualify their return policy with a "normal wear and tear" carve-out. Maybe they trusted people to be decent about it. The lesson: Never trust a large group of individuals to be decent about anything because a few jerks will screw it up for everyone.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 pm 
I am not in the least bit surprised that L.L. Bean finally had to abandon its former return policy. American consumers have become spoiled by liberal return policies, and some choose to abuse retailers like the lady who returned her Christmas tree to Costco on January 4. Another retailer that's being taken advantage of by low-life chiselers is Home Depot. (How about buying a brand-new washing machine, taking it home and removing it through the bottom of the box, putting the old washing machine in the box, and returning it for a full refund?)(Sorry, no link - this one and a number of other anecdotal reports about Home Depot abuse were in another thread on another forum.) Anybody who thinks that the remaining straight-shooters aren't paying for this kind of abuse is only fooling themselves.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 4:48 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
the dirtbag gear scam has come full circle and everyone has to pay for it.
How so? The new LLBean one year return policy is generous enough. The only "everyone having to pay for it" are the dirtbags who egregiously abused the old policy.
Well I agree that one year is plenty of time to find out if something is working for you. I generally know that something is going to work for me almost immediately on first use, though there are some exceptions. For less experienced people, it may take them longer, especially if they don't backpack/hike often. The 100% Satisfaction return policy of REI was designed to encourage people to buy gear they might not be sure about. If it didn't work for them (100% satisfied) they could always return it. I was convinced by an REI salesperson to buy SuperFeet because if they didn't work for me I could return them. I was happy about that because they did work for me, clearing up my plantar fasciitis within a week. Otherwise I would probably not have dropped $28 (obviously many years ago at that price) for shoe inserts. Anyway, as long as those who would abuse the policy were not great in number, the policy made economic sense for the retailer and customer alike. It looks like REI and now LL Bean have both realized the limits to this policy and have changed. I would note that LL Bean made a big deal out of this when REI changed their policy. They seemed to gloat that they valued their customers more than REI. Kinda funny how that crap bites back at them now. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 4:59 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
The new LLBean one year return policy is generous enough.
The new return policy is subject to numerous exceptions, quite similar to REI's new policy. Time will tell how it plays out. IME, REI overcorrected a bit. I never abused REI's old return policy, but I paid per the new overcorrection, being denied a replacement on a <1 year purchase of an obviously defective product. Fortunately, I had recourse via the manufacturer, whose representative said "I'm surprised REI did not warranty this."

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offer a generous return policy. Drive competitors out of business. Act like a monopolist. That seems as likely as human beings behaving worse.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 5:32 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Offer a generous return policy. Drive competitors out of business.
I doubt any business could drive a competitor out of business with a return policy. Neither REI nor LL Bean have a reputation of low prices. Rumi

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 6:55 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I doubt any business could drive a competitor out of business with a return policy. Neither REI nor LL Bean have a reputation of low prices.
Actually, the opposite has happened. The presence of numerous internet outdoor retailers with frequent sales have cut into REI's and LLB's business. Lots of people try on stuff at REI, then go home and order the item on line for the lowest price.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:53 pm 
Those are good points. I was thinking about the long term history of the industry when both those companies were growing relative to mom and pop competitors who couldn't match their selection, prices, service, return policies, etc. The boot's on the other foot now with the online retailers. So you all think it's people changing and not industry conditions?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm 
I suspect REI is not losing money as a result of people trying in store and buying online cheaper. People are just buying online cheaper. Similarly I suspect it's not return abuse leading to changes in return policy but rather just another way to cut costs to be able to compete.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm 
REI financial statements indicate that revenue, profits, and book value all increased for the last year reported. Same store sales were up a healthy 4%. Why do some think they are struggling?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 pm 
No idea. I am always skeptical of financials. I would venture to guess most here shop on Amazon for their hiking gear now. I don't think I bought a thing at REI for the last 2 years.

Julia

Julia
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 11:58 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
IME, REI overcorrected a bit. I never abused REI's old return policy, but I paid per the new overcorrection, being denied a replacement on a <1 year purchase of an obviously defective product. Fortunately, I had recourse via the manufacturer, whose representative said "I'm surprised REI did not warranty this."
Exact same experience. Obviously defective product, REI gave me a hassle about the return, manufacturer made good. Lesson learned for me--I shop elsewhere now. I've bought from LL Bean specifically for their admirable return/guarantee policy. Never returned anything to them, but I just felt "safe" buying from them. Ah, the good old days ... frown.gif

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx