Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is NW Topos basically dead?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ejain

ejain
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 10:02 pm 
boot up wrote:
Oregon seems about 20 years behind on hiking technology in general. Very few GPS tracks, almost no recent trip reports or trail conditions reports.
You do have http://www.oregonhikers.org/, which is a lot more than most other places have... OpenStreetMap seems to have decent coverage for the more populated parts of Oregon. For the rest, you can fix it yourself :-)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 10:11 pm 
ejain wrote:
boot up wrote:
Oregon seems about 20 years behind on hiking technology in general. Very few GPS tracks, almost no recent trip reports or trail conditions reports.
You do have http://www.oregonhikers.org/, which is a lot more than most other places have... OpenStreetMap seems to have decent coverage for the more populated parts of Oregon. For the rest, you can fix it yourself :-)
you are lucky to find a vague and poorly written trip report for 99% of the hikes within Central Oregon that are less than 2 or 3 or more years old. Usually those are useless due to changes caused by forest fires. I am working on building my own library. It is just a very slow process. "Other places"? I suppose it is better than Iowa or maybe Florida? agree.gif Actually, the mtn bike maps are the best resources, on the mixed use trails anyway.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message