Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pk. 4,163' via Cool Canyon, Hornblende Canyon; 01.06.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 7:15 pm 
For the 1st hike of 2018, I decided to bag a little peak that sits on a ridge separating Cool Canyon from Hornblende Canyon in ABDSP. I'd been up both canyons before but not the peak, so there was still an element of surprise to make this hike worthwhile. I had 2 takers this time, incl. my brother who was in town visiting for the holidays. After dropping my car off @ the ending point @ the mouth of Hornblende Canyon, we took the other car to the trailhead @ Cool Canyon & geared up. cool.gif up.gif
Web @ the TH
Web @ the TH
We started up Cool Canyon, enjoying having the place to ourselves. up.gif
Brittlebush
Brittlebush
@ the 3-way fork, we went left. Then left again, & again. Basically we just kept left @ all the forks. wink.gif
Mortero
Mortero
When the gully coming off the pk. got too steep, we topped the ridge & followed that the rest of the way to the summit. This section was pretty steep & open, so I refused to look behind me as i slowly but steadily made my way up to the top. eek.gif My companions joined a few minutes later.
Tequila shots
Tequila shots
Summit shots
Summit shots
Atop Pk. 4,163' w/tequila shots
Atop Pk. 4,163' w/tequila shots
Summit pano
Summit pano
Secret Peaklet?
Secret Peaklet?
Summit register
Summit register
After a snack & chat, we continued on, dropping to the saddle to the north of the pk. & then down a slope full of agave paranoid.gif until @ long last reaching Hornblende Canyon.
Looking back up @ the pk.
Looking back up @ the pk.
Juniper (female)
Juniper (female)
Hornblende Canyon has lots of dry waterfalls, but I knew ahead of time they'd all be passable since I'd been there twice before.
Morteros
Morteros
Looking back @ the big fall
Looking back @ the big fall
Feathers
Feathers
We reached my car @ the other end, picked up the car parked @ Cool Canyon, & headed to Wynola for some pizza that was purported to be really good. Alas, my companions weren't particularly impressed. redface.gif
Stats
Stats
Route
Route
Post-hike marg
Post-hike marg
Band
Band

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message