Forum Index > Trail Talk > Which cell phone service has best coverage in WA Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm 
My wifes cell phone died. She's been using ATT cell service. But since her phone is dead, we might use the "opportunity" to switch to a different carrier. We both have, and use, land lines for almost all phone useage and only have cell phone for situations when car breaks down, or possible need of rescue (it has never happened yet). So all we care about is having the best coverage as we wander around WA state cascades, and Olympics, Teanaway, No Cascades, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks! P.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm 
Iridium. I'm old enough to remember the pre-digital cell service. I could make calls from Muir, Columbia Crest, Baker, even Boulder Basin on Glacier Peak. Coverage is no where as good since the digital conversion. I'm told this is in part because even when you have line of sight to a tower (like Muir to Packwood) and have bars, the TTL expires before the data from your phone reaches the tower, so it just ends up in a perpetual retrans loop. That said, we switched from Verizon (had been with them since they were US West Cellular) to TMobile last fall because it was 60% less. The latter definitely has inferior coverage, particularly in the mountains. But for what we're saving I could get an Iridium phone and still be money ahead.

If not now, when?
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:54 pm 
Verizon network* has by far the most superior coverage (short of a satellite phone/device). *with Verizon or another carrier.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
RichP

RichP
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 2:02 pm 
Another vote for Verizon. I use a dumb phone and am constantly amazed at the places that I have service from. P, that includes that little jaunt we did last summer.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 pm 
+1 for Verizon network via another carrier. My $35/mo Total Wireless plan uses the VZW network and includes slightly more data than VZW's $70/mo plan. Before Total I used Straight Talk, also VZW network @ $45/mo.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 pm 
If you don't use your cell phone much but do have Comcast internet at home- you can get on the Verizon network through "Xfinity Mobile" for "free" each month. "free" includes unlimited talk and text. If you use more than 100 MB of data then you are charged $12 for using 101-1000 MB. And $12 per addition gig (1000 MB). I've been on it for six months and happy- cheapest way to get on Verizon's network that I know of. My bill is usually $0 or $12 (+$2 "taxes").

Triton

Triton
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:33 pm 
Another vote for Verizon. We were on Ladies Pass when my cell phone pinged in my pocket where I had it to use for pictures eek.gif

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm 
I called a friend from the summit of Bonanza Peak last summer with Verizon. A few other places I recall having perfect cell service: the South Shoulder of Mount Redoubt, the summit of Kololo Peak (in fact basically every summit of the Dakobed Traverse, high on the ridge between Kimtah and Cosho Peaks, and the summit of Forbidden Peak. I also made a phone call from the top of Formidable this past summer. Crazy where you get service these days.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
summit of Bonanza Peak last summer with Verizon.
Fletcher wrote:
the South Shoulder of Mount Redoubt, the summit of Kololo Peak (in fact basically every summit of the Dakobed Traverse, high on the ridge between Kimtah and Cosho Peaks, and the summit of Forbidden Peak
I was just about to suggest a "where is the most remote place you've had verizon service" survey. But that seems like a pretty good sample.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm 
Verizon has amazing coverage, e.g. 4G LTE 4 bars at Robin Lakes, but it's not cheap. 0 bars at the trailhead however. Probably more cost effective to get a T-Mobile plan with crappy coverage in the mountains and then get an Inreach satellite messenger with the emergency plan or just a PLB.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 8:41 pm 
If it would be purely for 911: note that all carriers are required to handle 911 calls. I've never used it myself in this way, but supposedly 911 will just work if you have AT&T but only Verizon coverage. Of course, this won't help for car issues or other less urgent calls smile.gif. I agree with RandyHiker that I'd probably prefer to get an InReach for the emergency coverage (which then virtually works everywhere) and not optimize for this in my choice of cell phone.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:21 pm 
Verizon has the best coverage but, yeah, get an inReach because you won't have cell service at many THs and access roads.
Fletcher wrote:
Crazy where you get service these days.
There's service where there's line of sight to a cell tower, e.g., anything you can see from Indian John rest area. Where there's no line of sight, there's no service unless the RF waves are bouncing off something (and that'll usually get you only SMS text, not voice streaming). As CC said, there was broader coverage in the mountains with old analog technology.

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 am 
Interesting thread. I leave my phone at home when I hike. Not judging, just find it interesting.

The only easy day was yesterday...
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 am 
+1 for Verizon and also -1 for anti-technology people. Get over yourself.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Verizon has the best coverage but, yeah, get an inReach because you won't have cell service at many THs and access roads.
Agree. As of a couple months ago you could still get the old DeLorme version which is almost identical but significantly cheaper than the new Garmin version. My plan is $13 a month, which I rarely ever exceed.