Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cayoosh Mountain & Whistler Wanderings (BC) - 2/9-10/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
geyer

geyer
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm 
Dates: February 9-10, 2018 Distance: Olympic village ~2.5mi, Cayoosh ~8.7 mi Accum. Elevation Gain: ~3500' Total Humans Seen: none before my descent at cayoosh Waaay back on December 27th, I tore my MCL (grade II) and my doctor told me I'd be out 4-6 weeks, which was pretty accurate in terms of being able to hike, but I'm still not 100% comfortable with skiing yet. So even though my buddies and I had already reserved our lodging and lift tickets for last weekend at Whistler, I decided to stay off my knee for another week and cancel my lift ticket - and it turned out to be a pretty good decision! (The skiing sucked and I had a great time biggrin.gif ) On day 1, I wasn't sure what to do with myself since I had only planned for Cayoosh on day 2, so I took some internet strangers' recommendations to visit the Olympic Village and Alexander Falls. The olympic village, in my opinion, isn't worth the $12 unless you are on cross-country skis. I only had snowshoes, but it felt really good to move around outside on my knee. Just the confidence booster I needed for Saturday's excursion. Alexander Falls was pretty cool. Since I had the xc ski pass already, I explored the falls from both sides. Tip: stick to the tourist lookout; it's hard to get a decent view from the opposite side, unless you want to go to the base of the falls.
Black Tusk from the road to the Olympic Village
Black Tusk from the road to the Olympic Village
snowshoe route views at the "top of the world"... which is just some stubby little hill
snowshoe route views at the "top of the world"... which is just some stubby little hill
Alexander Falls
Alexander Falls
Alexander Falls
Alexander Falls
B&W Cascades
B&W Cascades
windblown ridge of the NW peak of Mt Currie from near the Nairn Falls trailhead
windblown ridge of the NW peak of Mt Currie from near the Nairn Falls trailhead
On day 2, I woke up at 4am and started out on the trail (skin tracks) before 6 am to the tune of 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Brrr. Being the good Samaritan that I am, I stayed out of the skin tracks the whole way up and broke my own trail, which wasn't too difficult since it was only about 4" of powder on crust. But that powder was so light that I wished I was on skis! I kept looking back and wanting to take out my tripod to capture the awesomeness that was the crescent moon above the face of Joffre, but I knew it was too early to be making stops like that. I pushed onward until first light broke on the tops of the Cayoosh summits.
Early morning views of Joffre Peak and the crescent moon
Early morning views of Joffre Peak and the crescent moon
Armchair glacier and Cayoosh mountain getting the alpenglow treatment
Armchair glacier and Cayoosh mountain getting the alpenglow treatment
start of Mt Marriott
start of Mt Marriott
When I go to the point where I should have turned off to summit Cayoosh, I just looked at the valley that lay ahead and thought "Man, this is so amazing, I could turn around right here and it would already be a satisfying day." With that thought in mind and the considerable amount of effort it looked like summitting would take, along with the persistent awareness of my untested knee, I decided to plod onward through the valley. It was always my backup plan anyway.
just wow.
just wow.
first light!
first light!
still in disbelief
still in disbelief
Joffre - Matier - Hartzell/Spetch -> Slalok
Joffre - Matier - Hartzell/Spetch -> Slalok
The rest of the way up was smooth sailing: easy ~20 degree slopes with constant views of the valley behind me and the looming giants ahead. The ridge to summit S2 was riddled with cornices, so I chose to stay away from there and just go ahead to the ridge between the main summit and S2. The views were just as good anyway. Upon reaching the ridge, 360 degree views of the Cayoosh Range await, with Saxifrage Mountain being the pyramid-shaped gem that shines brightest.
Cayoosh S2 ft. slab avalanche
Cayoosh S2 ft. slab avalanche
taking a breather and soaking in all these views!
taking a breather and soaking in all these views!
ridge pano
ridge pano
Saxifrage
Saxifrage
The only evidence that I was here
The only evidence that I was here
Everything is frosty
Everything is frosty
On the way back, I finally saw the first humans of the day and there were several groups of skiers that followed immediately after. All in all, an excellent first real day back on the knee in the backcountry.
finally found some skiers! Buncha late-rising slackers!!!
finally found some skiers! Buncha late-rising slackers!!!
pow-town
pow-town
more skiers. I guess they all set the same 10am alarm
more skiers. I guess they all set the same 10am alarm
molecular biology??
molecular biology??
views
views
start of lillooet lake
start of lillooet lake
possibly still mt currie from a different angle?
possibly still mt currie from a different angle?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 pm 
Nice to see a report from Canada. Joffre and Cayoosh are both on my shopping list. Looks like you made the most of your time there. up.gif

xuanxier

xuanxier
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 pm 
Cayoosh is a local classic both in summer and winter. Did it last year in January as a sunrise hike. Check my TR.. Peaks in Joffre Group are all awesome. Have completed the six core peaks - Matier, Joffre, Slalok, Howard, Spetch, Hartzell. Did them all in winter. You'll have to do Matier. It's a P4K wink.gif wink.gif

geyer

geyer
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Nice to see a report from Canada. Joffre and Cayoosh are both on my shopping list.
There's so much great terrain for winter trips up there. I'm already thinking about when I can return. Hopefully on skis next time.
xuanxier wrote:
Check my TR..
Yeah thanks I actually did see your TR before I went out and downloaded the gpx just in case. It looked like the path up to the glacier went a little further away from that cliff band last weekend than what I saw in your pictures. Also, Matier looks like a beast that I'd love to get out on!