Forum Index > Gear Talk > How to pack/choose bear food protection?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Awkray-ven

Awkray-ven
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 am 
It comes to my attention that my pack is missing a means to keep food away from bears (or other smaller critters who chew). The Ursack seems really appealing to me for pack-ability and for size/weight. However I keep hearing about how some places it's not approved, which concerns me a little, as I'm not sure what happens if you use an Ursack when it's not approved, so I have some questions. When they say that an Ursack isnt approved, is that only for keeping it low on the ground? If you manage to hang it properly, does it not matter what the bag is? How do people pack hard sided bear canisters? They seem overly bulky and heavy. Is strapping them to the outside of your pack a viable option?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 am 
you can get a zip-up bag that holds the hard-sided canister and the bag has provisions on it so it can be strapped to the top of a pack. I suppose if the pack were large enough you could just insert the whole canister, but they're pretty big. regulations around here vary from place to place. canisters aren't required everywhere in Washington. please don't buy into the "bear freak-out" hype. prudence and reasonable caution are in order. obsessing about it isn't necessary. if you plan to go hiking along the coast, by all means get a canister (because of the raccoons, not bears.) most everywhere else around here hanging works for most people, I think. ... and I think more people here will tell you they've lost food to rodents than the people here who have lost food to bears. YMMV

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Awkray-ven

Awkray-ven
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 am 
Good to know that hanging is usually enough. Before I moved from the mid west, most of my day hiking and other such trips were usually done in Upper Michigan, and at a relative's cabin we did have a bear steal all the food out of our cooler, off the porch, plus the property had lots of bear sign. Not having had a chance to do a ton of proper scouting/day hikes yet this year, I haven't had a chance to make my own assessment of how much bear sign there is out there in the cascades and such.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 am 
Ursack isn't approved by the Sierra Interagency Bear Working Group. These are the ones who say what is "approved" or not since many parts of California have mandatory bear safe food storage requirements. https://www.sierrawild.gov/bears In Washington, a proper hanging bear bag is usually sufficient for both bears and the snafflehounds that like to chew into your food. If you are intending on going into "real" bear country (California, or grizz country) I'd personally get an approved canister. I use the BearVault 500 where required since I gear toward the week long trips. The 450 would be a good choice for shorter trips. Around here, I usually just hang the food.

Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am 
Here is a link to the Olympic National park requirements, basically the places you need a canister. https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-food-storage.htm#CP_JUMP_30421

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 am 
Ski wrote:
... and I think more people here will tell you they've lost food to rodents than the people here who have lost food to bears.
Yes, and this includes marmots. They are very opportunistic, and sneaky. I was also surprised to see mice digging around for whatever they could find at our camp on a glacier, maybe 1/2 mile uphill from the end of the trail. The only time I've had bears go digging through camp looking for food was about 55 years ago at Crater Lake, Oregon. Not dispersed camping, but a NPS campground which would have been very well known to the critters. The canisters, while being bulky, usually fit into the pack and you can stuff it full of food, as well as anything else that will fill it. Then it's not really taking up much room. Further, they do make reasonably decent camp seats at the end of the day.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 am 
Awkray-ven wrote:
such trips were usually done in Upper Michigan
I use to live in NW Ohio and spent time in the upper and lower peninsula hiking,backpacking, and canoeing. The Fall colors were exceptional in the UP, especially the Porcupine Mountain Wilderness.

Living in the Anthropocene
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 am 
Awkray-ven wrote:
I haven't had a chance to make my own assessment of how much bear sign there is out there in the cascades and such.
Well, they're there, but I've not seen them often. Once on the trail up Rainier from Paradise, but then I'm usually only there hiking a couple weeks or so out of the year with the grandkids, so I don't have a lot of accumulated time in the WA Cascade forests. Take that into consideration. Saw 'em far more often in Minnesota on a week long Boy Scout camp out one year. I woke up one morning around 5am to some noise. Poked my head out of the tent to see the scoutmaster (6' +) in his underwear, chasing a bear with a stick. The bear had one of our coolers in its mouth, but soon dropped it and left the area. Quite funny, I thought.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 am 
NCNP pushes canisters but they have lots of loaners - you have to leave a deposit.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am 
Gregory wrote:
Here is a link to the Olympic National park requirements, basically the places you need a canister. https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-food-storage.htm#CP_JUMP_30421
Tell that to the ONP ranger we saw a few years ago near High Divide with an Ursack

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 am 
Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon require hard sided NFS vary. Usually use Ursack in Wa and Rockies. Note you do not hang Ursack like a bear bag you tie it to a tree, follow instructions if you do not do it right coons can untie.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Awkray-ven

Awkray-ven
PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:47 pm 
Does properly hanging a bag take the replacement of a hard sided container though? It does sound like for most hiking here in Washington the Ursack is probably sufficient to keep things out, especially the smaller things that aren't bears, but still want to eat my food.