Forum Index > Trail Talk > Everest Base Camp temperatures?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 am 
We have a friend that is headed on a group guided trek to Everest Base Camp. They arrive at Base Camp around February 27th. Does anyone have an idea of what type of temperatures he should expect? Thanks so much.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 am 
This might help. You can check the temps at different elevations. https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Everest/forecasts/8850

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am 
There will be a very large range of temperatures between sun and not sun. Mountain forecast is a great tool but its free air model data. The effects of heating/cooling of terrain... especially in a valley like EBC... are large and not properly captured by model data in that kind of terrain at that altitude. Expect nights to get significantly colder... probably <0F at times... and days in the sun will feel quite nice... especially with the sun reflecting off high altitude snow.... it can feel like tshirt weather.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 12:33 pm 
My friend Michael Fagin does weather forecasting for many Everest expeditions. He can provide you with both historical information and also provide forecasts while you are in country if desired. http://everestweather.com/

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm 
I was at Everest Base Camp end of June ... cold! February sounds colder! 17,500+ feet gets cold, especially with a slight breeze. it reminds me of times when I would put ice in front of a fan and get some cool air. that's what if feels like at EBC especially with the snow/ice pinnacles.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 pm 
RichP wrote:
This might help. You can check the temps at different elevations. https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Everest/forecasts/8850
That website is so freaking useless. I once attempted Adams with a friend. Mountain-forecast had a *dramatically* different (and nicer) forecast from every reputable weather site. The other sites were correct.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 pm 
Foist wrote:
RichP wrote:
That website is so freaking useless. I once attempted Adams with a friend. Mountain-forecast had a *dramatically* different (and nicer) forecast from every reputable weather site. The other sites were correct.
I found it pretty useful while in South America where local mountain forecasts are hard to come by in some areas.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 pm 
Nepal at 17,500' is cold at night well below zero F we wore two down parkas climbing Island Peak in wa I only use one parka at night. Once it gets below 0F it doesn't matter that much. With a good bag and tent you will be OK.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm 
I was there in Feb and it was about 10f with a strong wind