Forum Index > Trip Reports > Same Ole' but still cool: Muir Snowfield 2.13.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 pm 
I just couldn't resist the timing....JustSomeHiker posted about supportable crust above Paradise, a few days of pristine but cold weather, a chance to do my usual boring February hike in this area, some extra training by biking from Longmire to Paradise before hiking, yada yada. Not the best timing in that the prior day I had done a serious bike session in the morning and an unexpectedly anaerobic 2 hour Kendo class that night, all these aspects of dealing with my age...I needed a rest day on Tuesday but you gotta take advantage of these conditions, so I set off on the (old) bike for the climb without thought of time. Not much traffic on the way up and I stopped for some photo ops with the new Panasonic G9 w/8-18. Yes, some equipment talk also. I agonized over the size of this camera versus my truly pocketable, defunct LX100, but decided to accept the larger package to try and up my photo game. Since this camera (and lens) is weather sealed and supposedly freeze proof to -10C, I hung it to my side for most of the day. I will probably carry it in a front pack this summer like I have done in the past. The wide angle 8-18 lens is good for shots where the foreground is stressed, among other things. I found the minimal zoom was really most useful as a framing tool. Luckily I have a 45-200 lens for this M43 that I can use for wildlife. So far I like it as I dig into its capabilities, but one thing that is very handy is the ability to take hand held shots at slower shutter speeds with the excellent in camera stabilization. Versatile clothing: I wore some biking thermals and a thermal top, thicker socks with my Inov8 insulated and spiked running shoes, and a Beyond Clothing jacket....lots of pockets (2 arm, two hand, one left chest) made out of "tweave". I've worn this jacket mostly for around town but it performs marvelously, keeping me warm enough in the frigid winds above Pan Point yet breathable enough on the steady bike grind up 2,600 feet to Paradise. And it's bomber, but not especially heavy. A balaclava and 3 different pairs of gloves completed the kit, one pair for biking up, one pair for hiking where I can unzip the top and free my fingers for photography, and an insulated lobster claw pair for the descent. Those spiked and insulated Inov8s proved themselves again, providing excellent grip on the crust...I had enough confidence in them to keep my camera slung on the climb to Pan Point, passing people having problems either booting up or in snow shoes. It was the usual temperature thing, the bowl below Pan Point was almost sweltering, but as soon as I crested the point a cold wind was blowing with a huge perceived difference in temperature. Above there to the snowfield I could only leave my fingers exposed for very short periods. Cool Ladies: once I crested Pan Point I noticed 3 women with wine glasses on a small foldup table, so I went over and asked if I could photo them...what a cool way to enjoy a day like this! A gourmet meal and wine (in actual wine glasses) whilst overlooking the Tatoosh. They were still there after I climbed higher, sauntered around and came back. (todays stats, 28 miles w/ 4,500' elev). I did pack my camera away to descend Pan Point as I thought I might glissade but I ended up sort of running down...of course no boot skiing with those spikes. After that I climbed right side back towards the mountain to try and get photos without sign of human activity. I was glad I wasn't trying to hit Muir as the old bod was definitely recovering from the prior day. The return was splendid with the setting sun and I departed Paradise just after 3. I figured I needed to leave then or wait until closer to 5 to avoid downhill traffic, and indeed not one vehicle passed me on the 11 mile descent. I arrived at the empty parking lot, my truck still the lone vehicle. Wonderful. Sometimes I wonder if I should post stuff like this, akin to another "Chirico trail" trip report, but I sort of use nwhikers as a trip journal. But every day out is a learning experience, coping with physical issues, tweaking equipment and clothing, socializing when appropriate. This was a great day, and despite dragging I'm sure glad I didn't stay home with the justification of "you need the rest." Cheers.
Pan Pt right, steps galore
Pan Pt right, steps galore
I want in!
I want in!
Handheld 2
Handheld 2
footsteps
footsteps
beware cornice
beware cornice
a piddling view
a piddling view
untouched
untouched
tracks 2
tracks 2
the details
the details
sun speckled road
sun speckled road
snow hair?
snow hair?
sidehill
sidehill
shadows 2
shadows 2
Paradise snow play area
Paradise snow play area
Panorama Point
Panorama Point
obscured
obscured
icicles
icicles
falls hand held
falls hand held
Danger
Danger
cool skies
cool skies
bike hiding
bike hiding
B & W
B & W
approaching rain clouds over Alder Lake
approaching rain clouds over Alder Lake
Adams on ice
Adams on ice

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 10:29 pm 
Pretty impressive to ride the bike up and then hike. Gorgeous day to be on the mountain.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 am 
williswall wrote: "all these aspects of dealing with my age...I needed a rest day on Tuesday but you gotta take advantage of these conditions". I'm glad you quit worrying about your age (much of that is in your head anyway) and got out to take such gorgeous photos. I love the one of the women drinking wine and dining at a little table. up.gif 28 miles and 4500 ft of elevation, not bad for an "old" guy. wink.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 9:05 pm 
Where the shoes the OROC 280 V2 or something else? Platform pedals? Hands cold at Pebble Creek? How did they stay warm riding down? That seems like a big challenge too... Did the rangers give you any grief about biking the road in the wintwr? Neat multi-sport adventure.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Where the shoes the OROC 280 V2 or something else? Platform pedals? Hands cold at Pebble Creek? How did they stay warm riding down? That seems like a big challenge too... Did the rangers give you any grief about biking the road in the wintwr?
Shoes: Inov8 Arcticclaw 300 Insulated with studs, kept my feet warm all day including breezy ride down. As for the Rangers, they always give me a thumbs up when they drive by and I've talked to a few of them over the years while doing these rides and they have always been really cool about it. Yes, this old mountain bike has dual pedals, clip on one side and platform on the other. Hands: I used a full finger biking pair for the climb, some thicker "Hand-Out" gloves for the hike, which have zippers on the back so I can expose my digits to film and slide them right back in, without removing the gloves, and some Pearl Izumi insulated lobster mitts for the ride down. Unfortunately, I fried my face in an oval as I forgot my sunscreen and was wearing a balaclava the whole time. My wife was not happy.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 am 
I'm reading your experience with your G9 carefully. Keep us up-to-date. I'm looking for my next camera.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:00 pm 
williswall wrote:
Unfortunately, I fried my face in an oval as I forgot my sunscreen and was wearing a balaclava the whole time. My wife was not happy.
Great adventure, humorous write up, intriguing photos. Unfortunately, my wife an I are both giggling about your sunburn misfortune. biggrin.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:11 pm 
williswall wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if I should post stuff like this,
I vote yes you should! Always interesting, frequently motivating for those like me who are years older and far more increpid than you, WW! 😄 Edit: I'm so decrepit that I unintentionally used a word from the urban dictionary: "increpid"..... dizzy.gif Probably derived from "incredibly decrepit"

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 7:29 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
williswall wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if I should post stuff like this,
I vote yes you should! Always interesting, frequently motivating for those like me who are years older and far more increpid than you, WW! 😄
Yes, another up.gif vote. I learn something from all you guys who are (far) more experienced than I, so keep it up.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology