Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wenatchee Foothills Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 pm 
OMG, it was the first time I have entered the Saddlerock / Dry Gulch area from the new National Park themed access. Hit the Trail asked me some time back if I had seen it and I told him no, and after seeing it yesterday what a destination it looks like they may plan on adding a restaurant / souvenir center. Looks like a piece of a future park system to me, but all I ever needed was a parking spot. Anyhow, we did a training days loop starting at the Dry Gulch access hiked West to Rebar Ridge and up to the main West Ridge and followed the perimeter of the area around the entire thing coming out above the dam and hiking back closing the loop at the lot. We did manage 7 mi, 2400' at a good pace, and walking back I showed Steve where we could have cut up and continued the loop probably netting us 10 -11 mi, and over 3000' of gain. It can be done over there. It was hard to believe it was February a lot of dry trail, but still some ice, water, and mud in non sun exposed areas. We had to keep it short I had to pick up my car in the shop. Good time as usual we had a good look at snow levels in the area for the slow outer expansion. I have to pinch myself, it's only February. Wow !
\Wenatchee's icon rock formation.
\Wenatchee's icon rock formation.
Rebar Ridge
Rebar Ridge
One of my favorite training ridges Windy Ridge to Witcheta Ridge.
One of my favorite training ridges Windy Ridge to Witcheta Ridge.
Chumsticks 5800' in February.
Chumsticks 5800' in February.
I like the weight, but the front multi pocket harness is the main draw along with the hipbelt.
I like the weight, but the front multi pocket harness is the main draw along with the hipbelt.
Gear is Good trying out the Fastpack 45L which still weighs less than most packs at 1 lb. 10 oz.
Gear is Good trying out the Fastpack 45L which still weighs less than most packs at 1 lb. 10 oz.
Big Bend 5700' looking barren for this time of year.
Big Bend 5700' looking barren for this time of year.
McClellan to the West
McClellan to the West
Mission Ridge / Peak
Mission Ridge / Peak
Stegasaurus Butte
Stegasaurus Butte
Saddle Rock from the South the prominent spire is called the "Cock".
Saddle Rock from the South the prominent spire is called the "Cock".

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
OMG, it was the first time I have entered the Saddlerock / Dry Gulch area from the new National Park themed access. Hit the Trail asked me some time back if I had seen it and I told him no, and after seeing it yesterday what a destination it looks like they may plan on adding a restaurant / souvenir center. Looks like a piece of a future park system to me, but all I ever needed was a parking spot
Yeah, I am expecting to start seeing flowers popping out of the ground any day on that south slope........ Actually, I have been using that trail head a lot lately for a quick hike up to the dam between dropping my wife off for her radiation treatment and then going back to pick her up. As you say, it is a nice facility. This morning I saw a city employee out there with a leaf blower blowing dust off the parking lot. I see them cleaning the restrooms every morning I go over there!

geyer

geyer
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
A lot of people seem to own and recommend this pack. What makes it so great?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 4:39 pm 
geyer wrote:
A lot of people seem to own and recommend this pack. What makes it so great?
1 lb. 10 oz. for 45L pack would be good but this has the multipocketed shoulder straps and seamless back panel / waist belt. It adjusted snugly and distributed weight on my hips. I have used the 20L and 30L but can't tolerate them as much anymore due to having grade 4 osteoarthritis in my left shoulder, as it is now I have to tighten down my right shoulder strap to carry most of the weight. There are many reasons to like the pack but those are mine. Slow countdown to a complete shoulder replacement. 😕😯 UD Fastpack 45L Overview

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 6:46 pm 
Ouch, Rob.... huh.gif Anyway, I know you'll grit through it. We're depending on you for your trip reports from up north. peace.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 7:06 pm 
I'm guessing all those hills and ridges are looking different today. smile.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 pm 
RichP wrote:
I'm guessing all those hills and ridges are looking different today. smile.gif
A little whiter at elevation but all ready melted and dry at 900' with blue skies and sunshine. We need to adjust the thermostat up a bit but we are heading that way all week. agree.gif