Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oyster Dome hikes, one super wet, one dry sunny and cold, Feb16 and Feb19, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KarlK

KarlK
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:10 pm 
On Friday the 16th, I made a quick stomp through curtains of wind driven wetness up the steep-in-places trail to Oyster Dome; the top section featured sleet from the anklebones up, slush below. Along the way I passed a gaggle of Darwin-Award-Elligible moms, dads, kids and teenagers attired about right for quick trip to the mailbox. Jeeze peeps, get a clue. And you over there, get off my lawn! Then, yesterday (President's Day Holiday) I reprised the trip in cold clear conditions, this time involving a really icy trail for most of the final third of this three-ish mile attractive nusiance. Lots and lots of people in sneekers and jeans, and they was a-slippin' and a-slidin' and a-fallin' on their butts and it was quite the show. For my part, microspikes enabled quick and secure work of the job of zigzagging upward amid the parade of calamity. A number of people noted with envy my "creepers", to which one might be tempted to reply: "jeepers, creepers, get a clue; And stay off my lawn!" In any event, after fleeing the horde atop Oyster Dome, I crunched my way up the Oyster Lilly and Lilly Lake trails, tagged the N Butte, checked out Lizard Lake and its horse camp (not bad), and then made my way back to Chuckanut Drive via the Lizard Lake/Lilly Lake/Max's Shortcut/Larry Reed and Chuckanut trails. About 11.5 miles in total, with pleasing solitude once off Oyster Dome. Incidently, the wet trip was an opportunity to try out a candidate solution to the vexing problem of cold wet hands in cold wet weather. This involved trying a glove marketed to commercial fisherpeople, the Showa Temres 282. The glove alleges to be both waterproof and breathable (presenting yet another of life's little I.Q. tests), and was reviewed last year by Andrew Skurka (https://andrewskurka.com/2017/review-showa-282-gloves-cold-wet-conditions/). Meh. Pretty good for a one day drip, but the liner is cheesy and nonremovable, so once it gets wet, hasta la vista, dry liners. I am now trying Showa's 465 glove, which has a removable liner, which I advise throwing away and replacing with a fleece glove; I'm using OR's PL 400 glove. I'll let you know what I think.
Umbrella & Showa Temres 282 gloves, 02.16.16
Umbrella & Showa Temres 282 gloves, 02.16.16
View from Oyster Dome, 02.16.18
View from Oyster Dome, 02.16.18
Super wet, 02.16.19
Super wet, 02.16.19
View from North Butte, 02.19.18
View from North Butte, 02.19.18
Lizard Lake from horse camp, 02.19.18
Lizard Lake from horse camp, 02.19.18
Lizard Lake horsecamp, 02.19.18
Lizard Lake horsecamp, 02.19.18
Dry and cold, 02.19.18
Dry and cold, 02.19.18

Karl J Kaiyala
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NorDub

NorDub
PostWed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 pm 
I thought I recognized those gloves from Skurka's blog, then you confirmed it. Definitely interested in the Showa 465 report. Keeping hands dry/warm during constant winter rain seems like a tough problem to iron out.

KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 10:06 am 
NorDub, a quick update on the Showa 465: they're definitely better than the 282, and less expensive as well ($15 at Seattle Marine & Fishing Supply (2121 W Commodore Way, Seattle)). I'd be happier if the shell was backed by a synthetic material instead of a thin cotton matrix, but this seems a minor issue at this point. I'd also be obliged if I could get the glove in XXL, since I have beefy paws and would like to wear a thicker fleece liner than the XLs will permit. In any event, I think the 465s with a couple of spare fleece liners are looking to be a pretty good solution for such activities as winter packrafting and rainy hikes. I'll be trying them as work gloves this weekend in chainsaw certification training I'm doing in Oregon. This will be a test of durability as well as dexterity and warmth etc. I'd argue that the basic concept here represents a good market opportunity for the hikng-oriented outdoor clothing industry, but I suppose that will remain sub-optimally realized owing to the industry's fealty to the false premise so effectively marketed by WM Gore & Co. Talk about fake news.
Showa 465 with OR PL 400 as liner
Showa 465 with OR PL 400 as liner

Karl J Kaiyala
Oldguy

Oldguy
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am 
I found another product that helps keep your hands warm. Discovered when I bought them to keep my jacket cuffs clean when working in muddy conditions volunteering with WTA. By covering your lower arms and wrists with neoprene, the blood to your hands is warmer. Two of us are now using them with identical results. http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/imperial-neoprene-wristers-2-pack.html

KarlK

KarlK
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 12:03 pm 
Thanks Oldguy! Gonna get me a pair and give them a go. Might be the bees knees for packrafting to.

Karl J Kaiyala
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:30 pm 
KarlK wrote:
Super wet, 02.16.19
Super wet, 02.16.19
Builds character, KK!🙂
KarlK wrote:
Dry and cold, 02.19.18
Dry and cold, 02.19.18
Also builds character, but in a different way.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still