Forum Index > Gear Talk > Patagonia MicroPuff Hoody experience?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm 
Just got an online ad for Patagonia's "micropuff hoody", and the advertising as well as a few reviews make it look just great - get me my credit card, I gotta have one! However, some reviews make me balk. Specifically the crackly sound they make (I recall a very noisy sleeping pad one of my tentmates had one trip, and no matter how lightweight it was, I would not have one!). So, can I get any real-world experienced opinions on this jacket? Thank you....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Feb 21, 2018 4:17 pm 
We have 2 gen1 Micro Puffs, both non-hooded, and 3 older (lighter, not as warm) Nano Puffs, 1 hooded 2 non-hooded. They have been good pieces. We use them alot. The Micro Puffs are 10+ years old and have lost some loft, although Honey still uses hers quite a bit. The claims of crackling are confusing. Ours are silent. Maybe the new insulation has a break in period.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 3:00 pm 
Another option is this LL Bean 850 Dry-Down Fill hooded Sweater with Pertex Fabric . I needed a tall and picked this one up three years ago. I really like the construction, and warmth. It Packs down very well at 850 fill. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/89510?feat=down%20sweater-SR0&page=ultralight-850-down-sweater-hooded&csp=a The Micropuff has the same Pertex Fabric, but synthetic insulation.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 9:30 pm 
moonspots wrote:
However, some reviews make me balk. Specifically the crackly sound they make (I recall a very noisy sleeping pad one of my tentmates had one trip, and no matter how lightweight it was, I would not have one!).
I have a Patagonia Micropuff (with hood). I've worn it nearly every single day since November and it does not show one bit of wear. I've worn it under a shell skiing for 29 days. It is warm, light, and durable. I read the reviews on the Patagonia website and can easily say I take exception to everything bad reported in the available reviews. I've not found any loose stitches, the zipper works great, the insulating filaments do not leak out at the seams. And, in answer to the OP's question - it does not crackle. It really is as quiet as a mouse peeing on cotton.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 am 
schifferj wrote:
and can easily say I take exception to everything bad reported in the available reviews. I've not found any loose stitches, the zipper works great, the insulating filaments do not leak out at the seams. And, in answer to the OP's question - it does not crackle.
And from DIY Steve: "The claims of crackling are confusing. Ours are silent. Maybe the new insulation has a break in period." This is what I wanted to hear, reports from those with firsthand experience. I tend to believe comments from those who I know (well, not personally, but remotely, yes). And this evaluation is quite funny "...quiet as a mouse peeing on cotton." lol.gif Thank you, I appreciate it.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm 
moonspots wrote:
some reviews make me balk. Specifically the crackly sound they make
Ah, the adventure of online shopping!

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Ah, the adventure of online shopping!
I really had no choice with the Patagonia Micropuff as it was a "Patagonia Exclusive" when I got mine. Living in the small town of Spokane, I had no real access to a walk in Patagonia store.

WaState

WaState
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 pm 
No experience with the Patagonia micro puff, but I do have Feathered Friends Helios jacket and a Verio sleeping bag, use as a pair for summer alpine in the cascades. I must say they have superior++ quality items and most of it is made in the USA. I live about a 1.5 hour north of their store so can handle their stuff from time to time.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 pm 
I have a Pata Nano Puff I bought four years ago. The zipper has failed and the insulation has collapsed. The stuff Pata is putting out now just doesn't compare to the older products. I have two stretch Capilene shirts I bought in 1995 that are still usable- the zippers are fine. I have two <four year old Pata products that both have failed zippers.

If not now, when?
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:01 am 
I don't know the name but I have a of exact model but I have an Eddie Bauer Alpine ascent jacket that packs into it's own pocket and my wife has another jacket of theirs. She had to return hers 2 times in 5 years and they have done it no questions asked. Once for a zipper issue and the other for a tear. I have not had any issues. I am typically not an Eddie Bauer fan because I feel the gear they make is more of about marketing to people who don't actually go outdoors, but have to say I found this item to be the exception.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.