Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best places to retire in eastern Washington?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:35 pm 
[quote="]Eburg has gone from being an authentic cow town to a growing case of Seattle envy[/quote] I'm thinking Wenatchee is headed in that direction. It sure isn't The Apple Capital Of The World anymore and real estate prices are going the way of Seattle. It may fit the needs of the fleeing (after making a killing on their home sale) Puget Sounder though. Too many people there for me.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:37 pm 
Hesman wrote:
Or I would hop on the bicycle and ride to where I wanted to go. Lots of great roads to ride bicycles on. Even rode to Cle Elum and back from Ellensburg once
Yeah, the road biking over here is excellent, when it's not windy (easy to plan a few days ahead -- see prior post). Lots of variety, little to no traffic and the drivers are courteous to bicyclists.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
being an authentic cow town
What does this even mean? Ranching is still part of the economy in Eburg... What is the difference between an "authentic" and a "fake" cow town anyway the % of "dude ranches" the ratio of Starbucks to pickup trucks or something else ?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 pm 
Half of Texas thinks they are cowboys but Austin, Dallas, and Houston are about as much cowtowns as Seattle huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 2:14 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I will not say where I ended up.
Political views, smoke, etc..
treeswarper wrote:
People here go to Spokane for serious stuff.
All not so helpful to the OP question since you may live in Africa for all we know. lol.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 pm 
"KEEP AUSTIN WIERD" is a bumper sticker.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
What does this even mean? Ranching is still part of the economy in Eburg... What is the difference between an "authentic" and a "fake" cow town anyway the % of "dude ranches" the ratio of Starbucks to pickup trucks or something else ?
It's pretty straightforwards, it's the transplant of urban ideals and people. You have the plastic bag fluffery, the growth 'management' acts, the ratio of subarus to pickups, the bike lanes, the traffic 'calming' (reducing speeds and throughput), etc etc. I pay attention to what's going on in Eburg as sort of a personal observation program. My theory is that due to Pugetopolis's increasing prices and increasingly overbearing regulation impacting everything from personal choices to land use and prices, folks will flee ...and everything that made where they lived into someplace they wanted to leave, will come with them..because they changed their location, but not their ideals. You can argue in favor of all these things sure, of course. But the claim I made here was that if you wanted to escape Seattle, Eburg is trending that direction and it's no longer the cow town driven by cow town and it's increasingly driven by Seattle ideals. When you're looking to avoid what you're trying to escape, you need to know where it will be different, instead of where it will wind up the same. The funny thing is the values so many despise are what made the places they flee to, the way they are. Or were. And the places they fled from, something to escape. If you're looking to move for the long term as the OP was, this process matters and you should get an idea of which way the wind is blowing. Definitely from the W, in more ways than one.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 3:21 pm 
What about Walla Walla and all the hiking in the blue mountains. I've never been there. Also anyone got any comments about Spokane area? I figure I need at least 200 miles away from Seattle. I've thought about the eastern Sierra.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 pm 
I can no longer afford where I live (Bellevue) and do not like what the Seattle area has become. This "rising tide" is lifting the yachts nicely, but it threatens to sink those of us on dinghies. I too have fantasized and researched relocating someplace simpler, cheaper and less crowded. Cle Elum, Ellensburg, Wenatchee, Winthrop, Spokane, Sequim, Port Townsend - all on my list. Question for you currently living east of the crest or contemplating it: How do you feel about the heat and smoke/hazardous air of summer? Those are just showstoppers for me personally. I can't get my head around it. Then, too, having encountered my share of post-60s health issues, which seem to have arrived on schedule - as though a switch had been flipped - I have come to appreciate good access to the stellar medical care available west of the crest in a way I never did before. So that's real concern for me as well.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 3:50 pm 
AlpineRose, I have the same question as you! The fire threat is real and I do appreciate the fact that I can get emergency vet care for my dogs (forget about my health, lol) but 24/7 vet care is a luxury of living in a city for sure. And its the property taxes that are driving me out.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm 
I had thought of Bishop CA but last year I spoke with some old dirtbags who said prices are approaching Silicon Valley now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 4:10 pm 
MC, you are right about Bishop prices. And it's super hard to get a contractor there. You have to be on a waiting list for 6-9 months. Many of the houses need updating.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 pm 
Forgot to mention if you are looking in the Methow Valley, be sure and check whether fire insurance is available and how much it will cost. I hear that they no longer insure some of the outlying areas and have increased the rates in other spots.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:37 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
I have come to appreciate good access to the stellar medical care available west of the crest in a way I never did before.
Based on mine and my wife's medical issues in the past 10 years I would say Wenatchee has medical care on par with anything on the west side. Some of the best doctors/nurses/PA's/etc in the country gravitate to Wenatchee for the lifestyle. A lot of them come from the west side. And the main provider here (Confluence Health) is a full member of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and has access to what they have.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 7:01 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
Also anyone got any comments about Spokane area?
We have friends that live in Spokane. It works well for them. Spokane is a small city, not a cow town (real or fake) or an exurb of Seattle. It's big enough to have decent hospitals (for four legs as well) They have some culture (symphony, opera, concerts) Sporting events: Hockey , Bloomsdale world class 12k foot race. Because it's been around a while there is wide range of real estate, including amazing pre-war houses at prices that are a small fraction of Seattle's. It's more diverse than Yakima, less than Seattle.