Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best places to retire in eastern Washington?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Dude, what planet are you on? Thats exactly what the current leadership is doing!!!
This one. I don't know anyone who's happy about such things. Just because the current leadership wants to implement such things doesn't mean I or the people I know who would call themselves "liberal" like it or support it. Insurance companies wanting to use GPS devices to monitor your driving isn't a political thing, it's a corporate "how can we squeeze more money out of people" thing. I'm vehemently opposed to such things but not sure how, other than government regulation, it can be stopped. I'm actually for a mileage-based car tab tax. It's the most fair way to tax for use of the public roads especially with increasing numbers of electric and hybrid vehicles using the roads that pay no or much less in gas taxes than traditional gas powered vehicles. How to implement it is problematic though and also far off the topic of this thread.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:06 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
I don't know anyone who's happy about such things. Just because the current leadership wants to implement such things doesn't mean I or the people I know who would call themselves "liberal" like it or support it.
Who the hell do you think are electing these people into office?????
Bedivere wrote:
Insurance companies wanting to use GPS devices to monitor your driving isn't a political thing, it's a corporate "how can we squeeze more money out of people" thing. I'm vehemently opposed to such things but not sure how, other than government regulation, it can be stopped.
ONLY Progressive to my knowledge, and they are named that way because their founder was a communist!
Bedivere wrote:
I'm actually for a mileage-based car tab tax. It's the most fair way to tax for use of the public roads especially with increasing numbers of electric and hybrid vehicles using the roads that pay no or much less in gas taxes than traditional gas powered vehicles. How to implement it is problematic though and also far off the topic of this thread.
Thats NEVER going to happen to me!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm 
FWIW: South Dakota is very friendly towards people registering their vehicles there -- even if you don't reside in SD -- very popular with full time RVers... No income tax, low registration fees. I don't know what effect this might on insurance rates... probably cheaper, since there are no trees or other cars to hit....

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:19 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
FWIW: South Dakota is very friendly towards people registering their vehicles there -- even if you don't reside in SD -- very popular with full time RVers... No income tax, low registration fees. I don't know what effect this might on insurance rates... probably cheaper, since there are no trees or other cars to hit....
Thanks Randy. Like get a P.O. Box and register. LOTS of western King County people have done that in other areas for years to avoid emissions etc.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:05 am 
Avoiding taxes in your actual state of residence by falsely claiming to reside in SD is criminal fraud in most states. SD has been cracking down on it for years. I know a guy who got nailed with back taxes/fees, interest, penalties and court costs by the state of domicile. SD government provided evidence to his real state of residence, and that evidence eventually nailed him. If you guys wanna talk about committing fraud, I suggest you not do so on an internet forum. Fulltimer on-the-road RVers who lack an established domicile in any state might get away with it, although note that it likely requires signing something under penalty of perjury stating that you have a physical residence in SD. Also, SD is not as advantageous as it was 10 years ago. If you want to live in a place, pay the taxes due in that place. Taxes are the price one pays for civilization. If you don't pay you legal share of taxes, you're sucking off those who do. IMO, posts discussing how to commit crimes should be banned from this forum.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 8:14 am 
up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 am 
treeswarper wrote:
My personal rule: When the term "sheeple" is used, I consider the user to be illogical and overly emotional from too steady a diet of propagandized radio and Internet.
Bingo. Going on about an entire branch of political thought as a "mental disorder" is right in there too. I've read the last two pages of the thread and see nothing about places to retire. Sorry, apologizing for getting political after several such posts and then leaving them all be isn't super convincing. Maybe stop making work for your friend Tom?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 pm 
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 4:58 pm 
One thing to be aware of us that some areas have a high cost for medical services because there is a monopoly. Wenatchee and surrounding areas have that problem. The Wenatchee conglomerate took over an eye clinic here and the cost of a treatment that a friend must have doubled.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Avoiding taxes in your actual state of residence by falsely claiming to reside in SD is criminal fraud in most states. SD has been cracking down on it for years. I know a guy who got nailed with back taxes/fees, interest, penalties and court costs by the state of domicile. SD government provided evidence to his real state of residence, and that evidence eventually nailed him. If you guys wanna talk about committing fraud, I suggest you not do so on an internet forum.
Couldn't agree more. I too have an example, someone who claimed Seattle as his residence but lived in Minneapolis...from his trial, "here is the P.O. box that Mr. X claims to be his domicile, here is the house on Lake X that Mr. X says is not his domicile, etc etc. Trying to avoid taxes where he lived resulted in a criminal trial, convicted felon, loss of his job and basically ruining his life. He even volunteered to pay all the back taxes but the judge wanted to make an example of him. Just pay the legal taxes.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:28 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Avoiding taxes in your actual state of residence by falsely claiming to reside in SD is criminal fraud in most states. SD has been cracking down on it for years. I know a guy who got nailed with back taxes/fees, interest, penalties and court costs by the state of domicile. SD government provided evidence to his real state of residence, and that evidence eventually nailed him.
I get. I could simply buy an in expensive place to live there as an investment and change my residence to there. That way I could Avoid the BS road tolling here!!!

reststep

reststep
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 pm 
If I understand this correctly you still would not be living there so I don't know if that would work.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 pm 
So this is now a thread not on places to retire, but how to scam or be a deadbeat in Warshington? Kind of like those I hate the gubmint folks 'cept when it comes to gettin' mah social security on time. BPJ, you are driving on a route to Seattle that costs a lot to maintain just as an example. Your place in Cle Elum is covered by some kind of fire protection be it state or county. Your county roads are plowed. Unless you are a one man road maintenance company, you are dependent on those services and more. Idaho is calling......

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 pm 
Alright, there are many wonderful places to live in Central/Eastern Washington. Cle Elum, Ellensburg, Wenatchee. If you like even more remote look into Charleton, Twisp, Winthrup,

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
That way I could Avoid the BS road tolling here!!!
After living in Manhattan for two years, when I hear Seattlites complain about traffic and tolls (taxes, cost of living) I just laugh.