Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best places to retire in eastern Washington?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:41 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
That said nobody is going to force a transponder on me! NEVER! moon.gif
up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
FWIW: South Dakota is very friendly towards people registering their vehicles there -- even if you don't reside in SD -- very popular with full time RVers... No income tax, low registration fees. I don't know what effect this might on insurance rates... probably cheaper, since there are no trees or other cars to hit....
However, I believe you do have to physically reside there (in order to show "residence") for >2 weeks/year as I understand it. At least that's the way it was when my wife's cousin & husband registered as residents many years ago following retirement. Well, there are trees, rocks and cars there, in the NW corner of the state anyway. Just fewer of 'em than in the PNW. And generally speaking, the SD drivers can read, and follow the advice of the "keep right except to pass" signs. lol.gif The downside though is there are plenty of SEVERE thunderstorms with large hail and tornados throughout the spring & summer months, and in the winter there is nothing between the north pole and SD but the flat ND and Canadian prairies. Winter travel across the barren landscape is not advised for your basic "city bred" traveler.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 9:12 am 
moonspots wrote:
However, I believe you do have to physically reside there (in order to show "residence") for >2 weeks/year as I understand it.
Nope. Most states define "state of residency" as one's true, fixed and permanent home. Some states may have a 2-week waiting period before claiming residency, but that's beside the point.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 pm 
Quote:
That said nobody is going to force a transponder on me! NEVER!
Before moving to the great state of California, I lived for several years in Manson (near Chelan) and we had many many tourists visit. Sitting in the local watering hole we would discuss using stun darts on the tourists so we could radio collar them in order to see where they wandered. I have a strong feeling that you were one of those we radio collared.

don't believe everything you think
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:41 am 
RayD wrote:
Quote:
That said nobody is going to force a transponder on me! NEVER!
For some reason, maybe cuz my eyes are full of pollen, I was reading Nobody is going to force a transginger on me. I miss South Park.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 1:13 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
After living in Manhattan for two years, when I hear Seattlites complain about traffic and tolls (taxes, cost of living) I just laugh.
My wife and I just got back from a week of visiting our daughter who now lives in NYC. We took taxis, subway, and walked a lot. I would not last a couple seconds trying to drive in that town. It was interesting to notice I saw less garbage and far fewer homeless/begging on the streets of NYC than what is now in Seattle. My daughter, with a Masters degree, working for a non-profit in Manhattan, has to live in a very sketchy part of Brooklyn, sharing a tiny apartment with 4 people, and is proud to be able to have gotten her own room with a window. I had to work on being supportive and positive as she showed us her place. She does not own a car there. We covered a lot of ground with her as our tour guide, and I must say, Manhattan and even Brooklyn is now looking better than what Seattle has become. Our other daughter still lives in Seattle with an accounting job at a high tech company. It is scary visiting her tiny, old apartment and neighborhood in Seattle these days. I was darn happy to return to Central Oregon after a claustrophobic week in NYC. At least the grime here is good clean desert dust, and "organic" burning trees. And the State income tax here is doing an OK job of scaring the major crowds away....but complaints of traffic and crowds are still a major topic here.

friluftsliv
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 pm 
boot up wrote:
It was interesting to notice I saw less garbage and far fewer homeless/begging on the streets of NYC than what is now in Seattle.
Two notes on that: 1) NY has a high redemption value on all bottles and cans. Poor people scoure the streets and parks picking these up and digging them out of the trash. 2) Popular tourist areas homeless people are actively encouraged to "be elsewhere" If you had ventured into the non-gentrifed areas of Harlem where I lived the last two years , you'll see plenty of homeless people. That said I also found that the people , homeless and otherwise to be extremely friendly. It was easy to have real conversations with people on the street and at the counter in a diner. Also when pushing a baby stroller ( grandkids was why I was in NYC ) people were always offering to help carry the stroller up and down subway stairs unprompted.