Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking 2nd week of May
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiking129

hiking129
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 pm 
A friend and I are lucky enough to have a week of vacation in the 2nd week of May. Looking for a non technical backpacking adventure anywhere in the Western US (although I prefer PNW/Norcal). So many of the trails that I think would be great seem to still be snow covered. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 8:35 pm 
Great Basin mt. ranges tend to be prime in late May. I'd check the snotels, see if they were running normal or below. Could very well be viable, snow patches manageable, in your time frame. My own favorites are the South Snake Range (Great Basin NP), North Snake Range (Mount Moriah, my first choice) both in far eastern Nevada and the Deep Creek Range, a northern extension of the Snake Range that is over the border in far western Utah. These ranges have 12 thou peaks, much of your hiking would be at 10. Hiking the Great Basin by John Hart is a great guidebook to these areas and many more. If not mountain minded maybe the Lost Coast in CA? Doesn't hurt to have 2 destinations scoped, audible for best weather/conditions. This long range temperature/precip. site has helped me with that: http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/temp1 http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/prec1 also, http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpf2.shtml

Off trail rambler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 pm 
FWIW: In the Cascades during May it is basically stlil ski season. It can be wonderful, but you've got to be prepared to travel and camp on snow.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 pm 
Might even be a little warm by then but snow certainly wouldn't be a problem along the Rogue River in May. Out and back or you can arrange w/ a local outfitter to shuttle your vehicle so you can do a through hike. I haven't hiked it but I've rafted it, cool area. Another I haven't done but I know it's snow free earlier than most stuff in the Cascades is the Lake Chelan shoreline trail.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 pm 
You can use this map to help you about the snow levels for May. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf The Washington Cascades and Olympics will be in snow in May. As well as Idaho and Montana. Even Wyoming. Some places to consider in May based on that map: Southern Oregon. Rogue River. Snake River eastern Oregon and the Sierras of California. Nevada and Utah too.

Art is an adventure.
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 pm 
Olympic Coast; Shi Shi to Rialto is where you would find me

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 3:37 pm 
Hells Canyon

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
hiking129

hiking129
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 pm 
Thank you guys! It's a tough time of the year. Definitely was considering Olympic but am afraid of it raining the entire time. Lots of new places to research!

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 6:55 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Hells Canyon
I second Grannyhiker's suggestion. Springtime down in Hell's Canyon is great! Start at Pittsburg Landing and hike south as far as you care to go. Temperatures are still mild, rattlesnakes aren't out. Kirkwood Ranch is a great first night stop; interesting little museum there. The road over the "pass" to Pittsburg Landing is maintained year round for the jet boat drivers who put in there. If you go do watch out for poison ivy.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 7:30 pm 
You're gambling with your vacation time if you come to Washington in May. Higher elevation trails will still be buried and the weather will be super iffy. If I were you, I'd go to the Sierra Nevada. You'll have better chances with the weather and there will be a lot less snow.

Devildog89

Devildog89
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 11:33 pm 
Second the Rogue river, As soon as I have the available time I plan to do the entire trail as a thru hike.

Semper Fi Dave