Forum Index > Trail Talk > St. Helens permit clown-show continues
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 1:57 pm 
Why don't they stagger the days you can sign up, say 6 months ahead of the climb date? That way the entire universe won't log on at the same time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
snowhat

snowhat
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 5:05 pm 
They appear to be able to increase the supply of permits for their own paying customers: ($230) http://www.mshinstitute.org/explore/summit-climbs.html

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:44 pm 
Back in the '60s ( the good ol' days in some respects) we didn't need permits to climb Mt. St. Helens. Even when I last hiked it in the permit era we just walked up to a store near the base of the mountain on the south side and paid the $15. The daily quota was 100 climbers, I think. No permit was needed before May 15 (my ignorance is showing here, as I haven't made myself aware of all the current regs., obviously pertinent to this thread). It's a shame it has gotten to be such a big hassle just to go hike up a cool volcano. I feel fortunate that there are no plans for permits, fees, or quotas ( other than the 12 person per party wilderness limit) on Mt. Baker........ yet! rant.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 pm 
It has been a while, do they require a permit for Adams? I could never see the reason for St. Helens as it is just a pile of snow or pumice on the south side.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MultiUser

MultiUser
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:50 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
It has been a while, do they require a permit for Adams? I could never see the reason for St. Helens as it is just a pile of snow or pumice on the south side.
Yes, but they are not limited. So a fee generator rather than an experience enhancer.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 pm 
MultiUser wrote:
Yes, but they are not limited. So a fee generator rather than an experience enhancer.
The Mt Adams permit includes a "blue bag" kit for packing out your feces with smell minimized.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 2:07 pm 
GISJoey wrote:
Come on guys, give GISJoey and RecAcccess a break. I actually ran into GISJoey on the AT one time as he hikes it often. He's actually not that bad of a dude and has a history of building DoD and state game commission programs successful applications for hunting, fishing & outdoor recreation permits that are tied into an check-in/out system with telephony and outdoor kiosks. I liked him so much that I use his name now ;-)
Yea... butt... did you notice the thread headline... clown show continues! If GISJoey wants to be part of a clown show he/she will want to continue the partnership with MSHI!

schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm 
Mount Saint Helens is, by no means, the only permit clown show. I applied for a permit to float/paddle the Smith River in Montana. Results were supposedly available online on March 1st. When I attempted to log into the site it would not recognize my user name (email address). Umerous attempts back and forth between various sites to no avail. Personally I’m totally fed up with all the permit/lottery systems in place which gladly take my money for a remote “possibility” that I might get to use federal lands.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 11:32 pm 
GISJoey deleted himself. frown.gif