Forum Index > Trail Talk > additional Sunday avalanche fatalities Snoqualmie
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 3:44 pm 
**just noticed someone already posted about these (2) teens in another post** Such a sad weekend, Story can be found here: http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/teenage-snowshoers-missing-near-alpental/707491653

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:26 pm 
frown.gif.... Wow so young, three fatalities in one storm.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:31 pm 
frown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Wow so young, three fatalities in one storm.
Exactly. This is tough--those young guys. The parents must be besides themselves. Snowshoeing sounds mundane and innocent to many folks, but it has its perils too--especially in the Alpental--Source Lake area at this time of year. ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:10 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Exactly. This is tough--those young guys. The parents must be besides themselves. Snowshoeing sounds mundane and innocent to many folks, but it has its perils too--especially in the Alpental--Source Lake area at this time of year. ~z .
On T-A-Y there was a thread with some indication that they were on Cave Ridge -- not sure what route they took. The huge avi slopes off of Chair Peak have killed many, but even a small slope can be deadly.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
On T-A-Y there was a thread with some indication that they were on Cave Ridge -- not sure what route they took.
Cave Ridge is a whole other story. Interesting that they would choose that area. I have been looking through T-A-Y and could only find the barest mention of the incident--not a thread. Could you please post a link? Thanks. ~z

Arginine

Arginine
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:51 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
On T-A-Y there was a thread with some indication that they were on Cave Ridge -- not sure what route they took.
They were on a south aspect below the switchbacks to the snow lake divide.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 pm 
Arginine wrote:
They were on a south aspect below the switchbacks to the snow lake divide.
That is a bad place on high avy days- slides can start out of sight above you. Saw an entire troupe of mounties setup there for snow school a few years back on a day when wet slides were trigger above on very low angle slopes. So, so important to consider what might be hidden above you on high risk avy days.

If not now, when?
hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:10 am 
From NWAC Report: Two teenagers were killed by a slab avalanche that released on a south aspect at 4250 ft in the Alpental Valley. The avalanche initiated just below ridgecrest at the final steep switchbacks of the summer trail to Snow Lake Divide, NE of Source Lake. NWAC staff investigating on 2/26 estimated the avalanche 350 ft wide and that it ran 500 vertical ft into mature timber with crown depths up to 36" (85 cm). The failure interface was a layer of small facets above a thin melt-freeze crust that was buried by storm snow on 2/23 (SS-U-R3-D2.5-I).

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 8:18 am 
SteeperColder wrote:
**just noticed someone already posted about these (2) teens in another post** Such a sad weekend, Story can be found here: http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/teenage-snowshoers-missing-near-alpental/707491653
Holy hell, does anyone proof read anymore?
Quote:
Avalanche danger in the area is the mountains. Just 16 miles away from Alpental is Stampede Pass, where a snowmobiler was killed over the weekend when he was buried in an avalanche.

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 1:32 pm 
https://www.nwac.us/mountain-weather-forecast/current/ I have the ap on my phone and check avy conditions daily. Knowing the history of the snow pack is important. Use it often. Post it more. Donate if you can. They run on our donations.

"May you live in interesting times"
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Holy hell, does anyone proof read anymore?
No. It's all about the clicks. Don't be needin' to right any bearly recugnyzabel inglesh to get clicks.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 pm 
Very unfortunate but honestly I'm surprised that avalanche fatalities don't happen more frequently in the Source/Snow Lake area.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 7:04 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Very unfortunate but honestly I'm surprised that avalanche fatalities don't happen more frequently in the Source/Snow Lake area.
^^^ That. Stroll up the groomed cat track, and just a few minutes past the end is the first dangerous avalanche slope. I've also noticed an increase in (for lack of a better term) herd mentality as trails have gotten more crowded: People fall in line with others and traipse along without invoking their own situational awareness. Everyone, especially in winter, needs to look up and around, consider the entire situation, and think for themselves. Whether you are a leader or a newbie isn't relevant. If your leader doesn't appreciate questions or concerns, find a better leader. If your newbie isn't asking questions about the terrain, route, snow conditions, ask them for their thoughts.

If not now, when?
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 12:09 pm 
It's not just the winter route, accessed via said cat track. It's also on the summer trail, which traverses even more hazardous terrain than the winter route (on average - specific conditions may make one or the other worse on a given day of course). I almost always see a beaten trough on the summer trail these days when driving up to ski the lifts there. And often see people coming or going from that trail. I've seen several posts suggesting that as a good "safe" winter snowshoe on the WH&C FB group (I am always willing to be the fuddy duddy who begs to differ, as are a few others I see chime in on such threads, but it's like whack-a-mole). A lot of people seem to see winter snowshoeing as simply how one travels on summer hiking trails to continue hiking in wintertime, rather than seeing it as a completely different and much more technical mountaineering activity requiring a particular set of skills. "Social proof" heuristic via social media seems to be on net hurting not helping matters...