Forum Index > Photography Talk > Image hosting that allows high magnification?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 pm 
Howdy all, I'm playing around more and more with stitching panoramas to make large, high resolution images. I took this one on Sunday. It's 107 megapixels:
DSC_0756-Pano-1
DSC_0756-Pano-1
I know it's not the best I can do, but for how quickly I set up and took the shots I'm pleased with it. I need a better, sharper lens to really make an image like this shine and need to take more time getting everything level and reducing vibrations. Unfortunately, with flickr you can't even see what I'm talking about because it's been so downsampled. The thing is, there's nowhere I've found that I can host this image at full resolution and let people zoom in to 100%. As you'll see if you click that link, you get a pretty heavily downsampled version and can't really zoom in much. There are lots of little details in that picture that are hard/impossible to see without being able to zoom in. I think there are like 5 or 6 seagulls, an airplane (which you can see but it's blurry), details of the buildings, the great wheel, etc. So, does anyone know where I might be able to host images like this at full resolution where people would be able to zoom in and look around in them? The file is a high quality jpeg @ 28mb which might get a little larger if I push the quality settings to maximum or use a lossless file format. Any suggestions appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:36 pm 
I have a place that I park photos (and other stuff) and post a direct link if I want people to check the full rez image. There are lots of options some free. Minimal ¢$€£ will get your own domain name.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 2:31 pm 
Do you have any specific suggestions? Don't really care about my own domain at this point, but free web storage sounds interesting.

mike

mike
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 2:48 pm 
Dropbox gives 2gb for free. Has other benefits too. There are others but I'm not up to date on that. <$10/mo gets you plenty of storage and backup. Backup isn't practical here with a glacial connection though so I use a NAS.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 3:22 pm 
You could crop a lot of that picture to reduce the size. I don't think people would zoom in to the waves or clouds.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:58 pm 
Good hosting costs money. Not a whole lot, but money.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:43 pm 
Why not just allow original sizes to be viewed at flickr for that photo? Looks like you've limited it to the following sizes:
Note: you may be able to view larger sizes if logged in to your own account. The max I see is 2048 wide.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 am 
Tom wrote:
Why not just allow original sizes to be viewed at flickr for that photo? Looks like you've limited it to the following sizes:
Note: you may be able to view larger sizes if logged in to your own account. The max I see is 2048 wide.
That's the biggest size flickr will allow. <Account Settings/Privacy & Permissions/Largest Shared Image Size> Biggest option is 2048. If there's some other way to do it, I can't figure it out. Maybe on paid accounts you can?
Riverside Laker wrote:
You could crop a lot of that picture to reduce the size. I don't think people would zoom in to the waves or clouds.
That doesn't solve the problem of not being able to zoom in elsewhere in the picture. I can do away with the water and clouds but you still can't zoom in on the city. However, it might lead to a solution to the problem mike brings up below...
mike wrote:
Dropbox gives 2gb for free. Has other benefits too. There are others but I'm not up to date on that. <$10/mo gets you plenty of storage and backup. Backup isn't practical here with a glacial connection though so I use a NAS.
I have a Dropbox account. Pictures larger than 50mb or 50mp won't display. I suppose I could try cropping this image down to see if I can get rid of over half the pixels in it but that doesn't solve the larger problem. Other pictures might not lend themselves to cropping like that and I'd rather not have to resort to such things. Sounds like there really is no free solution. I don't mind spending a small amount of money for some web storage, guess I'll be doing some research.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 2:02 am 
I suspect you have hidden original sizes. What do you see here: https://www.flickr.com/account/prefs/downloads/

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 5:02 pm 
Nice one! I love creating super high resolution composite images myself. One of the methods I particularly like is using a long or medium telephoto lens so that I can get a wide angle shot that is super compressed so that everything looks larger than life.
Riverside Laker wrote:
up.gif This is what I do when I want to show detail from a high res photo.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 pm 
I don't know enough about it to know if this service would suit your needs, but their free image hosting might work for you... http://gigapan.com/signup

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 pm 
Thanks for the tip Joker... interesting! I'll look more into that.
Tom wrote:
I suspect you have hidden original sizes. What do you see here: https://www.flickr.com/account/prefs/downloads/
Yes, I restricted downloads. I suppose that's what's preventing people from seeing original sizes, too. Wish there was some way to let people view them without being able to download them...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 4:57 pm 
Anything that can be viewed can be downloaded. I always crack up at the right click protection and various schemes devised to prevent people from downloading images. All anyone has to do is zoom out the page enough so that the image fits on the screen then do a screen print. Paste into an editor, crop, and voila, image downloaded. Worst case do partial screen prints and patch together. Anyone inclined to do bad things will find a way.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 pm 
Tom wrote:
Anything that can be viewed can be downloaded. I always crack up at the right click protection and various schemes devised to prevent people from downloading images. All anyone has to do is zoom out the page enough so that the image fits on the screen then do a screen print. Paste into an editor, crop, and voila, image downloaded. Worst case do partial screen prints and patch together. Anyone inclined to do bad things will find a way.
I understand, but in the case of this image it kind of defeats the purpose to view it at full screen then do a screen capture. Wouldn't get anywhere near the detail this image is designed to deliver, plus they'd be capturing a compressed/downsampled version. As to the idea of blowing it up to 100% and doing multiple captures so they could stitch it back together, yeah I suppose someone could do that if they really wanted to. But, like any other theft deterrent system, the idea is to make it inconvenient enough for the thieves that they'll just move on to the next, easier target. It's like the alarm in my car. A thief can still steal my car if they want to, the alarm is there to make it inconvenient enough that they won't bother. So, disabling the ability to just download the full resolution image in its entirety makes the process of acquiring that image significantly less convenient, to the point that only the most determined will bother with it. I can also watermark it so at least it becomes worthless for commercial work.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 6:17 pm 
If you're really that concerned about it, watermarking is the better way to go. It's trivially easy to access the full size version of any image displayed online via any browser's Developer Tools, even if there are measures taken to obstruct downloading. The bottom line is if someone really wants to download an image, they'll find a way to do so. Stopping casual users from doing so isn't likely to deter any sort of unwanted behavior.