Forum Index > Photography Talk > Image hosting that allows high magnification?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pcg

pcg
PostMon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am 
I suggest posting your question on the forum at www.luminous-landscape.com Re. copyrights, watermarks, and concern about people stealing your images. If you're concerned about someone else making money from your image instead of you, then copyright your image by registering it with the copyright office. A copyright notice alone means next to nothing in court. Putting a copyright notice on an image only serves as a notice to someone that you have registered the image and most people who do so never register their image. US Copyright law requires the defendant to pay all legal fees for un-authorized use of registered copyrights so it's fairly easy to get a judgement to require someone to either stop selling your image or to reimburse you for sales already made. I’m happy when someone copies my image (with my name on the image) without permission. Why? Because it’s free advertising for me. If you somehow force them to no longer use your image what have you gained? Nothing. They would not have paid you for it anyway because they’re looking for something for free. And now you’ve lost the free advertising. Watermarks are ugly. Properly register your images with the copyright office and then put a small copyright with your name somewhere unobtrusive on the image.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 5:44 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Tom wrote:
I suspect you have hidden original sizes. What do you see here: https://www.flickr.com/account/prefs/downloads/
Yes, I restricted downloads. I suppose that's what's preventing people from seeing original sizes, too. Wish there was some way to let people view them without being able to download them...
My guess is that is by design. The idea being that folks can get a hint of what your picture looks like, but if they want the entire thing, they have to get hold of you (and maybe pay some money). As mentioned, there is really no essential difference between "download" and view. For images, I have a browser (in this case Firefox) open it. So that means if I "download" the picture, it opens up the image on a new tab. I get what you are saying though. It takes a little more effort for the user, and a lot of folks wouldn't be aware of how to do it. I will say I've never been thrilled with the ability to view large pictures on Flickr. It used to require several steps to even view the originals. Now they have a different viewer (which I would consider better) but if you want to look at something like this, then you can only see a bit of it. The little zoom button doesn't zoom in much. It is especially bad for panoramas, as it seems to be limited in terms of width. But at least the download option requires fewer steps than it used to. The old interface was frustrating enough that I decided to invent my own. It still uses Flickr, but has an easier way to view large pictures. It is called FlickrFrames, and is based on the idea that some browsers* display images in their own frame as if they were the only thing on the page. This gives you the ability to zoom in and out easily, while having the description (and the next set of pictures) available in a different frame. It is a bit clunky, but hopefully not hard to understand or use. I still use it to look at my pictures, especially the big ones. You might want to give it a shot. Note: When I wrote it, what are now called "albums" were called "sets". I haven't bothered to update the website description. * Firefox is the only browser that I know of that displays things in an ideal manner now. The other browsers are OK -- they still show the whole picture -- but they don't have ability to toggle between fitting the image to the screen and zooming in (they are always zoomed in). It is also trivial in Firefox to view the entire image in its own tab (as opposed to a frame). Just hover over the image, right click, and select "View Image". Then you should have the entire original picture on the browser page. Edit: I tried looking at your pictures on FlickrFrames, and I can see them, but they are still small. I'm afraid you'll have to change the setting (to allow "downloads") in order to see big ones. Also, my website assumes you have a picture in a set. That is a bug -- but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message