Forum Index > Photography Talk > Panasonic Lumix TS-7: I can't wait for this camera!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 1:09 pm 
If you really need a waterproof camera, not just something that is weatherproof, the pickings have always been a bit thin. Right now, I'm using an Olympus TG-4 which I purchased on Black Friday, 2015. It mainly rides in my PFD pocket and has been down the Grand Canyon once, the Middle Fork Salmon twice, and countless days on local rivers and throughout the San Juans. It's an okay camera, but I'm starting to get condensation inside the lens, a sure sign that its days are numbered. Not to mention the fact that the rear screen is getting dull with scratches. I have been nonplussed by the TG-5, the next gen Olympus waterproof that has been out for a while. It wasn't much of an improvement, but they did make it bigger and heavier, which seems to be the normal state of affairs. Every next gen version out there is always bigger and heavier than the last one. You'd think the manufacturers would realize that picture quality is more important than bells and whistles, but whatever. Like I said, I can see that my TG-4 is getting a bit long of tooth, so I took a look at Panasonic's webpage as they are my favorite camera mfg at the moment. (Still loving my LX-7 after all these years!) Lo and behold, the TS-7 will be released at the end of June. I can't wait. Seriously, I wish I was holding it right now! I have never been excited by a new release before, but this camera is getting really close to what I want. If only the longest exposure was 30 seconds instead of 4. That's my only beef, but I'm sure that is due to the choice of a 4.6X telephoto. Pretty difficult to get a fixed lens that offers both low light and decent telephoto. Anyhow, I look forward to using this camera. Panasonic Lumix TS7

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 2:57 pm 
That is definitely an intriguing camera! I am using a weather resistant G85 right now, with a 28-84 equivalent "beater" lens for my light carry, in questionable circumstances, e.g. Mtn biking or Kayaking (on still water), but no way would I carry it on a SUP or river. (A bunch of other lenses for general hiking) The TS7 is a 28-128 equivalent range, which is finally a useful range in a waterproof camera. I wonder how good the image stabilization will be? It doesn't say sensor size, but I assume it is a tiny sensor to get that range in such a small package. That will be interesting to see what it can get on dynamic range and image quality with a small lens and small sensor. Up to this point, waterproof cameras have severely sacrificed image quality. I hope panasonic finally bucks that trend. I wish they could have crammed in a slightly bigger, maybe 1" sensor, if not able to get the physics to work for a M4/3. I sure do enjoy bringing a camera out on the water, but it is a bit nerve wracking with only a "weather resistant" camera.
Hosmer Lake OR, 6/7/18
Hosmer Lake OR, 6/7/18
Red winged blackbird. 
Hosmer Lake OR, 6/7/18
Red winged blackbird. Hosmer Lake OR, 6/7/18
Hosmer Lake OR, 6/7/18
Hosmer Lake OR, 6/7/18

friluftsliv
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 3:02 pm 
yup, it is a tiny sensor. 1/2.3-inch High Sensitivity MOS Sensor / 21.1 Total Megapixels / Primary Color Filter frown.gif

friluftsliv