Previous :: Next Topic
Solohikerman

Solohikerman
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 am 
I was just reading this. Sad to see it happen again.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 4:58 pm 
:-(

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
JimK

JimK
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 6:36 pm 
Another bad day. We met SAR going in while we were coming out the NF Teanaway. A rescue & recoveries.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 pm 
A confusing almost SAR situation on McClellan Butte too. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2018-03-03.2590641216

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:35 pm 
Re: JimK's comment above, this was just posted on the Kittitas Co Sheriff facebook page: Kittitas County Press Release Sheriff Avalanche claims the lives of two snowmobilers in Kittitas County. Kittitas County, WA - 03/03/2018 - Of the four men swept in the avalanche, one made it out with minor injuries, one was air lifted with serious injuries, and two died on the mountain. Members of the Kittitas County Search & Rescue responded to the area North of Esmeralda Peak shortly before noon today in response to an avalanche. Due to the remoteness of the area, 20 miles North East of Cle Elum and above 4,600 feet elevation, communication was very difficult. Witnesses described one serious injury and two missing. Aided by other snowmobilers in the area all of the victims were located. With the assistance of Yakima County SAR, King County and Chelan County Aircrews, all of the victims have been recovered from the mountain. Sheriff Deputies in the field have reported the following; Deceased: 27 year old Zach Roundtree of Bonney Lake, full burial Deceased: 41 year old James Larson of Buckley, full burial Injured: 26 year old Kyle Ottwell of Bonney Lake, full burial, air-lifted to Harborview Injured: 27 year old Ryan Journey of Bonney Lake, partial burial, self-extricated, minor injuries Per Undersheriff Myers, "On behalf of the Sheriff's Office, there are just no words that will answer all the questions the friends and family have about why their loved ones were taken. Only patience, time and support will lessen that pain. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and we hope that some level of peace comes soon. The avalanche danger in many areas is still high, please be aware of the risks, as this marks the fifth avalanche death in the past 7 days." Kittitas County, from the Cascades to the Columbia, and online at http://www.co.kittitas.wa.us ###

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 11:00 pm 
Coincidentally, I was up there today and heard the news from the top as some other teenager was advised to back away from the ledge. There was a lot of snow for the last half mile or so going up, with lots of the tennis shoe-clad hikers slipping around, but not all that much snow on the ledge itself, (but enough that you could slip if you weren't watching and stepped on a snow patch). There was a local TV broadcasting van parked with cameras pointed up at the ledge down below. A bit unnerving to learn someone had died in the same area I was standing on this same day!

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 1:30 am 
Two people also died in tree wells over on Mt. Bachelor this weekend. It's been a bad couple of weeks for mountain recreation in the PNW.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 am 
RichP wrote:
A confusing almost SAR situation on McClellan Butte too.
I guess I thought it was "common knowledge" to stay off McClellan Butte until about July since those avalanche chutes stay loaded for so long there. Local knowledge doesn't seem to be getting passed along. We will no doubt see more of this sort of thing occurring as more new folks take to the hills. ~z

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 am 
As terrible as this is I hope lots of eyes see it as a reminder to be safe. We love outdoor recreation but it's not worth it to die wait a few months till conditions improve, plenty of lower options to get outside still

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
jdk610

jdk610
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm 
McClellan Butte slide (not my footage, I wasn't there): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf4PY5RhxVI/

RichP

RichP
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 3:11 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
McClellan Butte slide (not my footage, I wasn't there): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf4PY5RhxVI/
Dang!

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 10:50 pm 
They rode it down and walked out?!

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:33 am 
Bernardo wrote:
They rode it down and walked out?!
I'm guessing there was a slight communication mix-up here. From the comments on the Instagram video: "Great job to you and your group calling that in. I was one of the responders able to contact the two snowshoers you were worried about. They saw the slide and decided to head directly down." It doesn't sound like the two snowshoers were actually caught in the slide.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 6:55 am 
zephyr wrote:
RichP wrote:
A confusing almost SAR situation on McClellan Butte too.
I guess I thought it was "common knowledge" to stay off McClellan Butte until about July since those avalanche chutes stay loaded for so long there. Local knowledge doesn't seem to be getting passed along. We will no doubt see more of this sort of thing occurring as more new folks take to the hills. ~z .
Sadly, we cant take these considerations as gospel anymore. Too many people getting out these days. RIP.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln