Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tumalo Mtn, Lava Butte Oregon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 6:50 pm 
Over the past few years, I've been trying to take the family to different ski areas to see what's else is out there. This winter break, we chose Mt Bachelor in Central Oregon, near Bend. On Friday, we arrived in Bend with enough time to do a short hike up Lava Butte. It was an icy 2 mile road walk to the top but it was cool to see the lava fields all around. It can be driven during other seasons but the gate is currently closed to vehicles. It was good to walk around after the 6 hour drive from Edmonds.
lava fields
lava fields
Ryan, Sahale and Jayden at the top
Ryan, Sahale and Jayden at the top
We headed back into town and there was still some daylight, so I drove towards the Pilot Butte parking lot to surprise my family with another quick hike. Since they weren't too excited about it, I ran up and down it while they searched for a good place to have dinner. On Saturday morning, we headed to Mt Bachelor. After getting the boys their lift tickets, I found out that the upper mountain was closed off due to windy conditions. Uphill travel isn't allowed when the upper lifts aren't running for some reason. Oh well, I kind of half expected that and had a plan B in place. I headed off towards Tumalo Mtn which is 2 miles from the parking lot. While I snowshoed up the peak, Rose got Sahale a ticket for the tubing area. Everyone was doing exactly what they wanted to do, kind of a perfect plan. The hike up Tumalo was nice with great views from the top of this 7775' peak. The views of the Sister's range was especially good.
The Sister's Range
The Sister's Range
Mt Bachelor
Mt Bachelor
After getting back to the ski area, I met the wife and kids for lunch in the lodge. The boys headed off again for the slopes while Rose, Sahale and I headed off to play in the snow on the other side of the parking lot. We built a small snow cave which Sahale had fun playing in.
Sahale in the snow cave
Sahale in the snow cave
A fun trip family trip and can't wait to figure out the next place we'll visit. Btw, I really want to visit this area during summer conditions as there looks to be several nice hikes around. It's definitely near the top of out of state destinations I want to return to.

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 7:45 pm 
Nice Eric! Although I’ve climbed at Smith Rock a few times, the only peak I’ve done in the area is Middle Sister. The North Ridge Route is a great moderate snow climb in early season.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 pm 
If you get a chance to return to this area during the summer, PM me and I will give you a lot of beta... there is definitely a lot of fun stuff to do... for both you and your family.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 pm 
oh my goodness! your kids are beautiful! what a fun outing!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm 
up.gif I dig Central Oregon. The lava fields are kinda otherworldly.

Dick B

Dick B
PostThu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 am 
I have lived in Central Oregon since the early 70s. We have done many wonderful hikes in this area over the years. I would be glad to share some of them with you if you like.