Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Spokane Rescue
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 am 
Some good info and also how they have tried to collect costs from one guy they searched for. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/03/late-night-mt-spokane-rescue-saves-15-year-old-sno/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:17 pm 
Article says: "Before he knew it, he was lost. He called his mom. But by 4:15 p.m. his phone died, its battery sapped by the cold winter air." 1. I wonder if he tried to call 911 2. If he had *any* kind of location savvy app on his phone he could have given his mom his coordinates. 3. If he had an iPhone he could have opened the built-in compass app and given his mom those coordinates. Personally I think everyone in middle school should be taught how to use a cell phone to get help. In order to shave the odds of surviving an emergency in your favor, you need to know a few things that are not obvious about using a cell phone to get help. If you have not yet seen my write-up on this topic, you might want to take a look. https://mappingsupport.com/p/sar/smart-way-call-911-with-cell-phone.pdf

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
how they have tried to collect costs from one guy they searched for
It's the norm for ski areas to (at least threaten) to charge for rescuing skiers/snowboarders that leave the resort boundries. Ski patrol is a service provided by the ski resort... a business, hoping to make money. Way different from SAR.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:56 pm 
Most ski areas I've been at have warning signs that rescue out side of the ski area boundaries may not be possible and if performed that the rescuee will bear the full financial cost. Within the ski area boundary -- rescues by the ski patrol are typically at no cost.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 pm 
Dat true, some resorts out of state in WY or UT encourage controlled off piste skiing and provide some services. In the US most MR organization provide rescue without charge, except NH and a few other states can bill you if they think you are negligent i.e. not a local. Court precedent is few and far between. Overseas I always purchase rescue insurance, it is not that expensive.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn