Forum Index > Trail Talk > St. Helens permit clown-show continues
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 10:17 am 
The "crash proof" site is failing again this AM with SQL errors, card processing errors and other problems. At the moment the calendar page won't even load. Strike TWO for the Mt. St. Helens Institute. Error! Your order could not be completed. An exception has been raised that is likely due to a transient failure. If you are connecting to a SQL Azure database consider using SqlAzureExecutionStrategy. --------------------------------- We couldn't find your site frown.gif Please check the spelling and try again or click the following link to select from a list of the current RecAccess sites! RecAccess Locations -------------------------------- Error! Your order could not be completed. Your card was declined. Your request was in test mode, but used a non test card. For a list of valid test cards, visit: https://stripe.com/docs/testing.

If not now, when?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm 
I never tried to use this system but have heard it's Broken. They should go to to a call system where you actually talk to someone, the bwca does this and they have a lot of demand

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm 
Here is their response to my email, in which I demonstrated that the site failed and requested that the permits I had in my cart be issued. It amounts to "we screwed up so now you're screwed."
Quote:
Hello, Thank you for reaching out to the Mount St. Helens Institute. I am very sorry for your experience on February 26, 2018 using RecAccess. Many others have reached out to us sharing their similar experiences. You have every right to feel frustrated. We recognize how discouraging and time-consuming this process has been for those wishing to purchase permits. On February 26, 2018, over 12,000 climbing permits were purchased in addition to the 8,000 permits sold earlier this month, for a total of over 20,000 2018 climbing permits sold to date. The Mount St. Helens Institute works with a permit vendor to facilitate the sales which have been problematic this year. In the first day of sales on February 1st, the system crashed after the first 8,000 permits had been sold due to unprecedented demand. Those issues were addressed, but today the new vendor, RecAccess, acknowledged there was a problem with a hyperlink that inadvertently bounced some would-be buyers from the website. Mount St. Helens Institute Executive Director, Ray Yurkewycz, says “We regret the problems that some of our climbers encountered during on-line sales both on the first day and, unfortunately, again today. Our vendor, RecAccess has recognized their responsibility for the glitch and we will evaluate our best options for permit sales in the future.” RecAccess made the following statement: We need to apologize for the incorrect hyperlink error that occurred today. By accident, we inserted a hyperlink that pointed back to our testing environment calendar as opposed to the production calendar. Though the team discovered the issue within the first 10 minutes of launch, it affected hundreds of users that were sent to the testing environment. The team built the Mount St. Helens Institute a stable system that handled the anticipated load but a manual, incorrect hyperlink error affected some potential climbers and we are deeply sorry for the inconveniences that this caused your organization and recreationists who wish to enjoy the Mountain. The system was and still is stable with no complaints from users who were directed to the correct calendar. Again, our sincerest apologies as the Mount St. Helens Institute did everything possible to ensure a fair, smooth permit issuance to all climbers and this was in no way a result of Mount St. Helens Institute management.” While most people had a successful and efficient experience through the correct link and were able to purchase their permits, some people were directed to the wrong link and were unable to complete a transaction there. Unfortunately, most days sold out within an hour. We’ve experienced a similar pattern for the past 3 to 4 years. There is far greater demand for permits than there are permits available. We’re very sorry and disappointed that the experience was poor for some people. We at the Mount St. Helens Institute ultimately assume responsibility for the issue. Mount St. Helens Institute is the primary point to purchase climbing permits. Once permits have sold out through our web site, there is a second option to try and purchase Mount St. Helens climbing permits – via re-sale. It is acceptable and legal to sell (at or below face value of $22/permit) or give your permit(s) to another person. Purmit.com is an on-line forum that allows you to connect with individuals wanting to sell their un-used climbing permits. The Mount St. Helens Institute does not manage Purmit.com and we are not responsible for permit exchange or transfer transactions after the original date of sale. For more information please visit, our Climbing Permit FAQ page. Warmly, Kate Richardson Finance & Human Resources Director

If not now, when?
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:09 pm 
Yep, that's what that says. Man this stinks, sorry you had to deal with it, CC!

neek

neek
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:49 pm 
If I had a dollar for every time test configs or data somehow made their way into production, I could probably just buy Mt St Helens and be done with this issue.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
In case anyone is curious, sounds like these guys might have bitten off more than they can chew frown.gif http://www.carvatechusa.com/our-team/
It looks like a classic Bend Oregon "High tech startup". The good folks of Bend don't understand why their economy isn't booming with all their high tech startups, then you figure out most of the "startups" are literally just 2 people. A "large" startup tech company in Bend is 9 people. Carvatech USA sounds like one of these. Two guys, but they hint at having many more, you just can't find any actual photos or references to their other employees and Glassdoor.com has one review by an "employee" that sounds like it was written by one of the guys. They sure make a nice Marketing promo. I might actually believe it, if I hadn't worked for so many and interviewed at so many high tech startups myself. From their site: "Our team has in-depth experience deploying web based and disconnected applications for environmental, conservation and outdoor recreational programs for state and federal government. We are composed of professional geographers, biologists, engineers and application developers. Our officers have extensive federal government contracting experience, so we understand the process and speed! " It takes a former techy nerd to really appreciate this kind of humor. lol.gif

friluftsliv
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm 
Totally agree with boot up on this - I've worked with these sorts of companies before too and they will say anything to get a contract signed. Literally watched an organization pay over 10K for a repackaged commercially available service that would have run them a whopping $80 a year to purchase without a "startup" middleman.

Islander75

Islander75
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:09 pm 
Yep I had the same experience, CascadeClimber. I had two permits for August in my cart and was left high and dry when I tried to check out. I was able to get permits when the site reopened but I had to settle for May 11. Pretty frustrating..

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:53 pm 
If enforcement is as well implemented as selling the permits....

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 pm 
Nothing substantial to add but just wanted to say that this is a great NWHikers thread. biggrin.gif First I felt empathy for the ridiculous situation cascadehiker had to endure. Somebody should have to answer for that, like a zillion other piss-poor software outcomes that no one ever has to answer for. shakehead.gif Next comes the perfect management-speak letter pretending to say that "we feel your pain" but really saying that we made a quick assessment of what it would take to fix this and quailed at the amount of unpaid work. loggermoon.gif Then comes the wisdom of tech nerds telling us that this is probably just two guys: "We are composed of professional geographers, biologists, engineers and application developers. " rotf.gif And finally, a new user registers as the suddenly notorious GISJoey and tosses a giant spanner into the works! dizzy.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
huron

huron
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 am 
The problem lies in their philosophy which is obvious in the letter. They are proud of the number of permits "sold" rather than describing them as granted. St. Helens is public land that should not be sold or treated like a business or income property. Furthermore, what is the point of restricting access to a constantly changing volcano what will destroy any trace of hiker activity in a very short (geologically speaking) time? I don't get it.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 am 
GISJoey wrote:
Come on guys, give GISJoey and RecAcccess a break. I actually ran into GISJoey on the AT one time as he hikes it often. He's actually not that bad of a dude and has a history of building DoD and state game commission programs successful applications for hunting, fishing & outdoor recreation permits that are tied into an check-in/out system with telephony and outdoor kiosks. I liked him so much that I use his name now ;-)
Love this lol

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
MultiUser

MultiUser
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 pm 
Huron wrote:
The problem lies in their philosophy which is obvious in the letter. They are proud of the number of permits "sold" rather than describing them as granted. St. Helens is public land that should not be sold or treated like a business or income property. Furthermore, what is the point of restricting access to a constantly changing volcano what will destroy any trace of hiker activity in a very short (geologically speaking) time? I don't get it.
Nailed it. The failures really should cause questioning of why a fed agency grants a monopoly to an org who apparently can't perform adequately, and even more so, should there be a quota system in place? At least with others, the systems are run by the govt who seem to do an adequate job of it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 pm 
Huron wrote:
Furthermore, what is the point of restricting access to a constantly changing volcano what will destroy any trace of hiker activity in a very short (geologically speaking) time? I don't get it.
That's what I wonder. Hand out poopage bags and let folks wander on up. Take the mountain away from the institute. But there is money to be made!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 1:19 pm 
Oh, the word "lottery" is being used in reference to future dealings. That'll fix it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities