Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Forest Service Chief Resigns
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 10:05 pm 
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/07/forest-service-chief-resigns-misconduct-allegations-395048 "Tony Tooke, chief of the U.S. Forest Service, stepped down from his post on Wednesday following reports of sexual harassment and retaliation at the agency that revealed the Agriculture Department was investigating misconduct allegations against Tooke himself."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 pm 
Well, the Forest Service is handling this better than the NPS- their employees get promoted or are allowed to retire after doing things like this.

If not now, when?
Gregory

Gregory
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 am 
He was only in charge for six months.The article is mostly about past allegations before he was even in charge.I am getting to be skeptical of all these sexual harassment claims.Rape? Going on for years?Obama tried to stop it but could not?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Well, the Forest Service is handling this better than the NPS- their employees get promoted or are allowed to retire after doing things like this.
He retired too. From the article--"Tooke said his retirement was effective immediately."

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 am 
treeswarper wrote:
From the article--"Tooke said his retirement was effective immediately."
Deep sigh. The NPS and Forest Service: Where those who prey on others get promoted and are allowed to retire at taxpayer expense.

If not now, when?
Gregory

Gregory
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 am 
That's true of the city of Seattle also.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 am 
Tis a time honored tradition--along with the good old boy system.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am 
Heard a rumor that more is afoot regarding harassment, by non chiefs, while on fires.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 3:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Heard a rumor that more is afoot regarding harassment, by non chiefs, while on fires.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/rape-harassment-and-retaliation-in-the-u-s-forest-service-women-firefighters-tell-their-stories "Read Next"

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm 
I, for one, am ENTIRELY outraged and effing sick of paying for these criminals to retire. They need to start firing people. Anything else condones the behavior. "Oh, it's so hard to fire people. It takes a lot of work. Whine, whine, whine." I don't effing care. FIRE THEM WITH CAUSE and prosecute where possible.

If not now, when?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I, for one, am ENTIRELY outraged and effing sick of paying for these criminals to retire. They need to start firing people. Anything else condones the behavior. "Oh, it's so hard to fire people. It takes a lot of work. Whine, whine, whine." I don't effing care. FIRE THEM WITH CAUSE and prosecute where possible.
And I agree. ....but the FS is never able to do any investigation in a timely manner. Deaths on the fire lines take at least a year to have anything come out and in the meantime rumors fly. When the PNW Crew-- a mix of Redmond Hotshots and North Cascades jumpers had fatalities in CO, the immediate rumor that went around was that the women on the crew slowed everybody down and that was the cause of the fatalities. It was over a year, maybe longer before the Investigation was out for reading. Even after the report came out men were still blaming the deaths on the slow women. Note that none of the woman blamers were even near that fire. Ugh I'm getting riled. Enough. Good night.

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 10:03 pm 
All of the forest circus top to bottom needs an internal investigation done. Get rid of those that need to go all the way from seasonals to district rangers, to forest supervisors, to regional people, to Washington D.C. There's dozens of books worth of information people could write about if they really wanted to. You'd be amazed what you can get away with being a government employee. I've seen some wrong stuff happen. Reported it. It went no where. There are women who are terrible leaders and are the pot stirrers too.

Have I offended you today?
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Mar 10, 2018 11:22 pm 
Retirement is not something management lets them do. Once they’ve got the time in, and reach age, they can retire. It’s just like they don’t go and return all their paychecks for the last thirty years.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Klapton

Klapton
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
The problem is not just the forest service. It has been acceptable for decades now that any government employee of rank has at least one free pass on criminal activity. The public is expected to be satisfied when they merely lose their job. Cops are the most conspicuous examples.